I'm excited!!

TheShrimporium

I have metabetaeus lohena arriving tomorrow!!! Can't wait!!!

I have an opae ula tank with about 50-60 of them. I ordered 100 more and 6 lohena.

They are housed in a 37g column tank with a mountain of base rock in the middle nearly reaching the top of the tank.

I can't wait to observe the lohena and "try" breeding them. We'll see!!

If you have ever considered keeping opae ula, I highly suggest them. They are the most interesting shrimp I own!

I have never even heard of those other shrimp.  I saw some pictures online but couldn't tell if they are a macroshrimp or something different.

I have metabetaeus lohena arriving tomorrow!!! Can't wait!!!

I have an opae ula tank with about 50-60 of them. I ordered 100 more and 6 lohena.

They are housed in a 37g column tank with a mountain of base rock in the middle nearly reaching the top of the tank.

I can't wait to observe the lohena and "try" breeding them. We'll see!!

If you have ever considered keeping opae ula, I highly suggest them. They are the most interesting shrimp I own!

Your tank set up sounds cool. Can you post a pic of it?

So this made me look up the opea ulas. Is it really true that you NEVER have to change the water and only feed once a week or 2?

I've had Opae'Ula for over a year now, and I did one 50% water change after 6 months and another 50% water change at 1 year. They seemed to be fine, but nitrates were off the roof (600+ ppm). Wasn't sure if they were comfortable like that, so I'm doing monthly water changes now. I feed one 1mm pellet for every 10 shrimp once a week. I have about 40, so I feed four 1mm pellets every Saturday. Sometimes, I feed once every two weeks, in which case, I feed double that. Hope that helps!

And congrats, TheShrimporium, on the new shrimp! I considered getting the alphas when I got my Opae'Ula, but they only recommend one of them for every 50 Opae'Ula. I wanted to breed them, but I wasn't sure if it was safe to keep more than that. >.<

Oblong, not sure about their actual classification but they get about the same size as Neos.

Elo500, hawaii-opaeula.com. I slowly change the salinity over the course of a couple months just to mimic nature. I've had them as low as 1.011 up to 1.019, breeding seems to happen the most in my setup around 1.013-1.014. And these little fellas go through a larvae stage. They just float around the tank with their head facing down until one day they begin to have tiny convulsion like movement then they begin to "try" to swim and grab onto surfaces. Very interesting!

Christinenha, thanks! Maya DeLona with the company website I listed above has been extremely helpful with all of my questions. She said with my particular setup that I could house the lohena without a problem. Mine will nibble on man made foods but I seem to have more success with powdered foods. I drop in just minimal amounts once a week and they begin to swim all over the tank about 10 minutes afterwards.

I also house about 6 nerite snails with them but no success on any baby snails :(

SS, I started with 30 in a 6.5g for about 3 months, then I moved them to the 37g about 7 or 8 months ago. I can quick count about 40 at any given time but with so many hiding places, I may actually have more than 50-60 total.

Everything arrived in good shape, one lohena was DOA. They also sent about 15 pieces of wet lava rock, pieces are about the size of golf balls, maybe a few larger than that.

These guys are crazy bright red similar to Bloody Mary's! The first ones I bought were from "Ark" on aquabid. His were no where near this colorful. I could not get a focused pictured of the Lohenas plus they looked a little stressed so I'll give them a day or two and try to get some pics posted for everyone.

Btw, can any moderators tell me why my pictures are rotating to the left 90° after I upload them. I'm uploading from my galaxy s5 if that matters.

post-137-0-75880900-1421972342_thumb.jpg

post-137-0-96507100-1421972425_thumb.jpg