Woopderson's 20g long neo tank

woopderson

Here we go! I picked up my hardscape yesterday, getting my substrate this weekend. Full equipment and plant list to come this weekend.

d50adb34901f47d7d5333528ce35b3f0.jpg

Thanks! Its actually 5 small pieces. Spent about half an hour at my lfs trying to get it just right [emoji14]

Thanks! Nope, no stones. Gonna put some tube shelters on the right side. Cleaned up all the equipment and got it all set up. Now all we need is substrate! I have decided on using fluval shrimp stratum because it will also benefit my plants.

No it correct it call blue dream here a pic and blue rili is the one with the red

The first is correct, but the 2nd name hasn't been used for years.   Here's yet another story of where shrimp names get confusing.

When the red rili started throwing red rilis with blue tissue, everyone started calling them blue rilis. 

blue-rili.jpg

Then people started to selectively breed the red out until they looked like this.  This is now what is referred to as a blue rili:

Blue+Rili.jpg

Unfortunately now sellers have knowingly and unknowingly started labeling blue velvets as blue rilis and blue rilis as blue velvets because they look the same, although the velvet has a dilution gene.

So most often the BR is the one above that is referred to now.  If that isn't confusing enough, otehr people started to get the idea that they wanted to breed this type which is also called blue rili:

DSC_0171.jpg

Several people get the BR and BV mixed up all teh time, and I know there won't be any straightening that out except with serious hobbyists.  However I've been using BBRR (Blue Bodied Red Rili) for the one with blue tissue and red head/body, and blue carbon from the last shrimp pictured.  It just seems to make more sense to me as a hobby breeder.

Planting is done! The used ac hob I bought ended up having a crack in it, so I will have to replace that tomorrow.

Hardware:

Ac30 with dual sponge intake

Whisper 20 pump

Dual sponge filter

20g long tank

Marineland heater

Evergrow d120 light

Plants:

Anubias nana petit

Java fern

Hydrocotyle sp japan

Marsilea Hirustata

Lobelia cardinalis

Staurogyne repens

Java moss - to be planted

Substrate: 17lbs bag of fluval shrimp stratum

Critters to go in;

Caridina babaulti

Horned Nerites or ramshorns

Yellow stripe neos, or blue dreams/blue diamonds

9a6a98dccb0ff04f8a1c2c96aeb70a56.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! I figured it might do something like what amazonia does. Hopefully it doesn't take quite as long as amazonia to cycle. [emoji14]

Tested today:

Ph: 6.8

Ammonia: 0.5ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Tds: 135

I used seeded media from my prl tank, plus all the plants are from other tanks. They must have brought a bit of bacteria with them! I am not going to dose ammonia today, to get an idea of how much the substrate leeches. If it goes less than 0.5 tomorrow then I will dose up.

Tested today:

Ph: 6.8

Ammonia: 0.5ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Tds: 135

I used seeded media from my prl tank, plus all the plants are from other tanks. They must have brought a bit of bacteria with them! I am not going to dose ammonia today, to get an idea of how much the substrate leeches. If it goes less than 0.5 tomorrow then I will dose up.

Are you using the old Fluval Shrimp Stratum or the new Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum?

I just started a tank with the new one and my pH is around 5.8 atm, but then again it has only been a day since it 's been running.  my ammonia levels are almost zero but my Nitrates are sky high 

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1901-jumps-new-shrimp-rack/?p=37473

Mine appears to also be the new Plant and Shrimp stratum. I will keep thsi thread updated with my test results. :)

Will be following yours to compare our cycles.

Are you using the old Fluval Shrimp Stratum or the new Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum?

I just started a tank with the new one and my pH is around 5.8 atm, but then again it has only been a day since it 's been running. my ammonia levels are almost zero but my Nitrates are sky high

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1901-jumps-new-shrimp-rack/?p=37473

Today's tests:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

PH: 6.6

Nitrate: 20-25ppm (tough to read the card)

So it looks like the substrate is leeching a bit, but the seeded media is already eating that stuff up. I have dosed ammonia up to 5PPM to get the cycle rolling. Will be interesting to see tomorrow's results. The water seems to have cleared up quite a bit as well, which is nice.