Woopderson's 20g long neo tank

woopderson

Today's Tests:

Ammonia: 3-4ppm

PH: 6.4

Nitrate has not really moved up much.

I hope that the ph doesn't stay that low, I would prefer it closer to 7.

Today's:

Ph: 6.0 or less

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: ~1-2ppm

Nitrate: 30ppm

From a cycle persoective things are good, but darn that ph :/

*shrugs* If you'd like to not listen to my knowledge about neo shrimp coloration, that's fine. But blue pearl is a different shrimp altogether- Neo Palmata, not neo davidii.

The export lists I seen usually label neocaridina palmata as "blueberry" shrimps

A few years ago when they hit the market, Blue Pearl referred to the blue version of the snowball shrimp; Neocaridina cf. Zhangjiajiensis

The export lists I seen usually label neocaridina palmata as "blueberry" shrimps

A few years ago when they hit the market, Blue Pearl referred to the blue version of the snowball shrimp; Neocaridina cf. Zhangjiajiensis

Neocaridina cf. Zhangjiajiensis has been reclassified as Neo Palmata.  Blueberry is different than BP, although it is also Palmata.  Not only is the color different, but they do not breed true. Some attribute this to the food they've eaten.

Hokay!

So I think something was funny with my ph test yesterday. I tested twice today to be sure.

Ph1: 6.4

Ph2: 6.6

Nitrate: 30+ppm

Ammonia: 1+ppm

Such an odd cycle. I chatted with a colleague of mine who uses this substrate in a few of his tanks. He says his ph post cycle is 7-7.6. So it must lose the buffer capacity in a short time. My tap ph is 7.4.

I did a 2/3 wc today just to see what would happen to the ph. I am in no rush for this cycle, and have loads of seeded media to spare.

The ph seems to have stabilized at 6.4.

Ammonia continues to slowly leach from the substrate and is being eaten by bacteria. Nitrates continue on the rise. New plant growth spotted. :)

I use Fluval Stratum in one of my tanks and my PH is approx. 6.8 in that tank.  I think they've done something to this substrate to make it stay at a lower PH now.  It used to be around 7.2.

I do believe that Blueberry shrimps are in fact Babaulti blues (which don't breed true)

The one picture of C-Sky's shrimps are the ones I have here and they are called Blue Dreams.  I also got some of the lighter ones from C-Sky which have stayed a turquoise color (only have 2 left now)  They haven't bred yet.

I would be fine with around 6.8, but mine is still buffering low. 6.2 today. My ammonia cycle is complete but I'm a little leery about putting neos in a ph that low.

+1 to Chib.  That's what I use to bump mine up a bit.  Only do a pinch at a time though.  I have a .15cc spoon I use for my 10g.  One leveled spoon will raise my ph by ~.13  Yours will differ, but by finding an accurate way to measure each time, you will have your knowledge you need for your tank.

Also, be aware that temperature also plays a role in ph with low kh

If your temp is stable, you will be able to better pinpoint how much is needed when ph is dropped to a certain reading. :)

Some people mix, but I just drop in the spoonful.  It will dissipate pretty rapidly, and you should have your reading (if you have good water movement) within an hour.  If your movement is minimal, wait 12 - 24 hrs, and see the reading then.

This particular tank uses a re purposed UP Aqua shrimp sand.  It used to buffer around 6.3, then I dried it out in the oven and stored it for about a year.  Now it buffers to 5's.  Not sure if the drying out in the oven had something to do with it or not.  Would be an interesting experiment for someone to try with just a cup full.  Maybe I'll try it with some new sand coming in.

I will grab some baking soda today. Thanks for your help, everyone :)

I am getting some nice yellow neos on Thursday, and am told that some have a racing stripe. Will start with 20 of those, and then get my Caridina Babaulti a little later on from Randy.