Tigers

Jadenlea

RAWR!

Do people mix their tigers the way they mix their crystals and their TBs and their Rilis?  

I am assuming not but thought Id ask. 

Ive decided my new tank will be a tiger tank.  I have 2 tanks at 6.0ish needing RO water   and thought this new tank could be tap  and high ph shrimp like Tigers. 

I will pick a neo to go with them.     Any votes on which neos?  I already have carbons.   I was thinking of going with regular red and blue rilis.   I love the rilis  and all variety you can get from them.  

Thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn  Once my mischlings are producing TBs maybe I can someday  do something with tigers and TBs and see what I get.  

big dreams.  This hobby is so addicting

OEBT x Normal Tigers = loss of the orange eyes and you get like a light blue color to normal looking tigers. Honestly that mix is a waste of time since you revert back to normal look and loss of that cool OEBT

OEBT x BTOE you get a light black tiger and darker blue tiger and with some more selective breeding you can get Royals but why do all the work when you can just buy them for cheap now lol.

TTxOEBT is a mix I don't know so others might tell you that one.

I'm going to experiment with red tigers x galaxy tiger. Well, not really intentional but they will be in the same tank until I get the galaxy tank up and running.

"Do people mix their tigers the way they mix their crystals and their TBs and their Rilis?"

People don't cross rilis.  The only reason they are occasionally keep in the tank is because they won't breed with the other shrimp.

If you cross rili x diff color rili, the colors don't look good.

what did the yellow rili you found come from?   and where do the orange ones come from?    I know the carbons come from chocolates  ..or so Ive heard. 

Theory is that carbons came from chocolates.

Orange rili is from orange, and yellow rili is orange rili with not enough pigment that sellers sell as "yellow."

Extremely few real yellow rili have popped up from yellows, and so far I don't know of a real strain.  I have some that popped up in my new yellow strain I'm going to try my hand at making into a rili strain.  The major challenge is that many yellows are very light in color, so that mixed with rili would just look like an uneven shrimp you would cull.  I'm trying to mix some of the authentic yellow rilis with my Sunshine strain to make the yellow bold enough to see that they actually are rili and have clear separation of color.

That makes sense. In bettas your first color is red, then orange then yellow.  So you breed a red to an orange and get 75% red and 25% orange, then orange to orange you get red, and orange and some yellow, orange to yellow you get mostly yellow and a few orange.  The color gets diluted more as each generation comes along, so after a few generations your yellows will probably all be yellow, some deeper than others.

Now for the chocolates, Im not sure why blue comes out....any theories on that?  Is the chocolate maybe black, carrying a blue gene?

I'd not heard of those color theories with shrimp.  It makes full sense in theory though. 

Problem is most times red x yellow = wild 

To confuse matters more  I once had a red x yellow cross give reds and yellows and wild, but no orange.

I think shrimp colors (even the same color) may reside at different loci, which is why one cherry cross may yield something different than a replication that yields something else.

Unfortunately, shrimpers so far are not as serious about color genes yet than other people in different hobbies.  Heck, herpers often figure out colors all the way down to different types of anery (Anery "A", Anery "B".)  (Ie. cornsnake, geckos)  Same with mammal folks (Ie. mouse, rabbits), and fish folks (Ie. guppies, bettas)  This is sorely lacking in shrimp and very frustrating as a hobby breeder.

The only thing I have been able to do is by observation.

I'm sure some chocos carry a blue gene.  However since they throw everything else under teh sun, they carry lots of genes that intercombine as well.

I can't speak from experience crossing reds with oebts, but I did cross a red with a tangerine. This

resulted in a hybrid that I eventually nicknamed Bengals. The first generation produced a lighter

colored tangerine with reddish stripes, then the next generation the stripes were black and spots were

black. The 3rd generation they were deep orange with defined black stripes and spots and bred true in the next generation.

I think in the first generation you get the hybrid, then it gets more defined in each generation so

by the time you've got about 4-5 generations you have solidified the genetics to a certain degree.

here's the difference in the Tangerine Tigers pic.  These are not mine, just reference ones.

You can see that the TT does have spots on the bottom but not much in the way of stripes on the top, whereas my Bengals have defined black and white stripes...and they did have black spots, but very hard to see them on these photos. The spots were sort of at the end of each stripe...ending in a dot!

ycgi.jpg