Salty gh+ questions!

Tranggalangg

Hello everyone I recently got a package from another fellow shrimp keeper and its salty gh+ remineranlizer. My first time using it.

My original : tank parameters were

Kh:2

Gh:4

Ph6.8

No ammonia

Tds was 368 because I have been using tap.

Shrimp were doing fine and were healthy.

Soo basically I fallowed the instructions and added the recommended dose of gh+ to my ro water until I reached a Tds of 150. Once that happened I slowly added the water into my tank. And the next morning 1 shrimp was dead I immediately tested my kh and it was at 5! I did a 50% water change and added pure ro to bring it down to 2.

Can someone please explain to me what went wrong? And how to correctly use this stuff..

Thanks

Trang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located? How do you get those gH, kH, pH using tap and with having high TDS? Are you using any additives such as Discus buffer to precipitate calcium & magnesium (lowering gH) or acid buffer to lower kH and pH? Because these products raise your TDS.

I would start over.... You can calculate how much Salty gH+ to add accurately to your tank using a formula Volume x Delta x Factor. 

Sure, knowing the factor can be tricky, but you have to try and test it in a 5 gallon bucket. SeaChem uses this formula in their website to calculate the dosage. (measuring the volume accurately is also very important! 20gallon breeder is not accurately 20 gallon for example!)

For Salty Shrimp gH+ factor is really simple; the factor is 0.0946 (3grams/5.283gallon = 0.56785917/6 = 0.0946)

Delta is difference between current gH and target gH

If you were to target a gH of 5 from gH of 0 (RO/DI), then delta would be 5-0 = 5

If you want to get a gH of 5 in a 5 gallon bucket, you calculate... 5gallon (volume) x 5(delta) x 0.0946 (factor) = 2.365 grams of gH+

you add 2.365 grams of gH+ into 5 gallon bucket to get your gH of 5

really simple calculation that apparently almost no one knows about.  Super important if you want to dose calcium, magnesium, buffer, other major salts to salt water aquariums to get your concentrations exactly the way you want it.  As you can see, it's also important to get that perfect gH you want for shrimp aquarium =)

I use simplified formula:

1 gram of SS GH+ in 5 gallons bucket of RO water, I get GH=2, I use this to change water for my 20L.

1 gram of SS GH+ in 2 gallons bucket of RO water, I get GH=5. I use this to change water for my 10G.

you can use simplified or advanced way of doing it. =)

I have jewelry scale, so I can measure up to 10mg

I think you'll really like having a TDS meter for this. It's nearly essential.

In my 10g tank, just a pinch of SS GH+/KH+ can make a huge difference in TDS, and you'll want to know that, especially for your bees. It's related to GH and KH, but if it's high for reasons besides your minerals, you can run into issues when you add more through the SS.

Also, if you really have GH+/KH+ you probably DON'T want to use it for your bees. They like low low low KH, and the one you have will raise that level above their liking. You'd want GH+ only for them.

What have you been using for remineralization before? Or has your tap water been right for both?

To answer your question, to get from 0 GH to 6 GH, the package says to add " an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres of water"

Sure, knowing the factor can be tricky, but you have to try and test it in a 5 gallon bucket. SeaChem uses this formula in their website to calculate the dosage. (measuring the volume accurately is also very important! 20gallon breeder is not accurately 20 gallon for example!)

For Salty Shrimp gH+ factor is really simple; the factor is 0.0946 (3grams/5.283gallon = 0.56785917/6 = 0.0946)

Delta is difference between current gH and target gH

If you were to target a gH of 5 from gH of 0 (RO/DI), then delta would be 5-0 = 5

If you want to get a gH of 5 in a 5 gallon bucket, you calculate... 5gallon (volume) x 5(delta) x 0.0946 (factor) = 2.365 grams of gH+

you add 2.365 grams of gH+ into 5 gallon bucket to get your gH of 5

really simple calculation that apparently almost no one knows about.  Super important if you want to dose calcium, magnesium, buffer, other major salts to salt water aquariums to get your concentrations exactly the way you want it.  As you can see, it's also important to get that perfect gH you want for shrimp aquarium =)

Where do you get the factors for each powder that you would add to the aquarium? Do you just calculate them yourself after experimenting?

I was wondering that too. It would seem from GH+/KH+ I could get:

2g to 10L = 2g/2.641gal = 0.7573

0.7573/6 = 0.1262

but I don't know if that would be right or not.

(Not sure if that second 6 comes from dGH raised or not)

Factors are different for every products.  You'll have to test it in a sample before you actually use it for aquarium use; You calculate before you experiment it.  If your experiment becomes accurate with your calculation, then that is your factor.  If not, then you have to either tweak your factor's calculation a little bit (eg: SeaChem products have weird way of describing their instructions) or find out the concentration changes after each dosage (say for example every 1 grams) and then find your factor from there.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but hope it helps.