TB climbing?

Dendrobatez

Anyone hear of tb's climbing out of the water?

I've got some blue bolts and they keep making their way into my filter, it's setup like a sump on one side of the tank and the only access I can find would be a 1/3" thick piece of stiff foam filter pad, to get around it they would have to climb about 1" of it that's out of the water and over. Not sure why but they want to be there more than the tank itself.

I had 100 or so neos in there for awhile to test the tank and none ever got in there.

They can and do climb even to there death, it's something to be mindful of when keeping shrimp. They are escape artist, I think in the wild that they may leave the water to get to another pool. This behavior maybe related to being out competed in terms food and breeding, for instance two many males in a pool might send a male in search of a way to spread his genetics. The more I observe shrimp behavior the more I think there is some form of hierarchy and established dominant behavior.

I lost a number of Golden Bee shrimp to them climbing out to their deaths.

Did they climb the glass or was it something else they were holding on to? There is usually about a 1" gap between the top of the water and the top of the tank. So far they just really want to be in the filter section, ill get up in the morning some days and find all 10 in there, it's usually all of them or none of them.

The Bees climbed the corner of the glass tank straight up the glass and over the top. Its a rimless so there was nothing preventing them from going over once they got to the top. Now I keep the water level lower and also scrubbed the area at and above the water line all around the tank so there is less to grab hold of.

They can climb up anything that is wet, or rough surfaces (like sponges) even when it's dry.

One thing I discovered during a power outage is that they will all try hang out around the surface for some air. If you see a bunch of shrimps like that there is a good chance your oxygen level is too low or something's wrong with your water.

I thought that might be the problem at first too desert, so I checked and everything is good. They only seem to be interested in getting to the lava rock in the filter and picking at it.

I recently got boss booster from Han and they are more active and don't seem to care about getting into the filter anymore so it may have just been them searching out some biofilm