purigen

I am trying to research and get products that I do need or may need but there is just so many things out there I thought I would finally just ask.

It says that purigen helps with waste in the tank. Since I am trying to reduce the number of water changes on the snowball tank (especially with so many babies zipping around) I was wondering if this would be beneficial for the tank?

I only have a dual sponge filter in that tank, so it seems that I can literally just put a bag of it into the tank?

Any thoughts/suggestions on whether it would be a good idea and how I should use it?

Thank you!

You can just hang the bag in the tank, although it would be much more effective with more water flow over and around it.  Most people use it in an HOB filter, I have just hung it in a small 2g tank with only a sponge filter to remove tannins.  It will work just not as fast as in a HOB unit.  By the way Purigen is AWESOME. I use it in all my tanks and the fact that it can be completely recharged is fantastic.

I love Purigen. For me it is  must have.     I've been using it for years.   I had no idea it could just be hung in a tank but good to know!!    Perhaps hang right above the sponge filter so water is forced past it?

Are we sure its not dangerous if the shrimp pick at it and get a grain out?  

I add pinch in breathe bag when I ship it. so I'm sure it's safe.

Once the purigen is used up it turns medium to dark brown.  You take the bag out and soak it in a 1:1 bleach and water solution.  I do mine for a day or two but I think the instructions say like 12 hours I honestly dont remember.  Then you rinse the bag thoroughly then put it in a cup of clean water with four tbsp of prime overnight.  I dont really follow their directions on the times. Once im done bleach soaking I rinse it then let it sit for a day or two in a container of clean water, then do the prime for a day or two then rinse again.  It comes out brand spankin new and works like a charm.  No worries about my shrimp, at first I was very apprehensive to put a bag I just soaked in bleach into my TB tank but it was fine.

its so cheap I just throw it away and buy more but if I had a ton of tanks I guess Id recharge.  Im just afraid of the whole bleach thing.  

If you follow the instruction, it's pretty safe.

To be sure, I let it complete dry for couple weeks. before I put it back to aquarium.

It turns to salt, and totally harmless.

So I'm looking at getting this - any feedback? I have 2 ten gallon tanks that it will be used in.

filter bag (plan to cut it in half and use zip ties)  http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE13015-Aquarium/dp/B004LOENHM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1422657161&sr=1-3&keywords=filter+media+bag

purigen http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255PJE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So I'm looking at getting this - any feedback? I have 2 ten gallon tanks that it will be used in.

filter bag (plan to cut it in half and use zip ties)  http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE13015-Aquarium/dp/B004LOENHM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1422657161&sr=1-3&keywords=filter+media+bag

purigen http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255PJE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Normal media bag doesn't work.

buy 100mL with bag is better option.

The last time I used any, the instructions said not to allow it to dry out, as it would damage the media somehow.

It is extremely fine and I felt that it was best purchased in the bag and left alone, as the bag is made of a stiff, fine mesh that I did not feel I could adequately reseal if cut open.

A friend of mine suggested using undiluted bleach to recharge it. (Note that directions say NOT to do this.) I did this several times, and it cuts the time needed to bleach the media down to less than fifteen minutes. Wear gloves and shake the bag, and it will change color before your eyes. Of course, dechlorinate *thoroughly* before putting it back into your tank. I typically would double or triple the dechlorination step.

Because it does take some time to recharge, no matter how you do it, I advise getting one more bag than you need so that you can swap in a fresh bag easily. I never managed to be that coordinated and I would often forget about the bag. It would dry out, I'd kick myself, get a new bag, and a year later I'd make the same mistake.

The last time I used any, the instructions said not to allow it to dry out, as it would damage the media somehow.

It is extremely fine and I felt that it was best purchased in the bag and left alone, as the bag is made of a stiff, fine mesh that I did not feel I could adequately reseal if cut open.

A friend of mine suggested using undiluted bleach to recharge it. (Note that directions say NOT to do this.) I did this several times, and it cuts the time needed to bleach the media down to less than fifteen minutes. Wear gloves and shake the bag, and it will change color before your eyes. Of course, dechlorinate *thoroughly* before putting it back into your tank. I typically would double or triple the dechlorination step.

Because it does take some time to recharge, no matter how you do it, I advise getting one more bag than you need so that you can swap in a fresh bag easily. I never managed to be that coordinated and I would often forget about the bag. It would dry out, I'd kick myself, get a new bag, and a year later I'd make the same mistake.

Really, let me check the manual tonight.

Seachem also makes a filter bag that you could cut to different sizes.........it is re-sealable with the heating element of a vacuum sealer (if you have one).  The plastic material will fuse/weld shut,making a secure closure.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/TheBag.html

Ok, thank you all. First time around I am going with the purigen in the bag. When I get the hang of it I may try it other ways.

You all made me look and feel so smart today! I had to go to the LFS to get some 'kitty crack' aka hairball treats that my cat drools over, go figure, ha ha

Anyway... like always, I ended up walking the fish aisles. I got the top for my 10 gallon (now my light isn't as strong... grrr) but I asked the worker if they had purigen. She gave me an odd look and I started to explain it. She got all excited, said she keeps shrimp (RCS and 'dark reds' ??) and had never heard of it.

The more I talked about it the more excited she got. She asked what I used in my tank (double sponge filter) what I fed my shrimp and walked me back to the little stand by the fish and started to write it all down.

I told her I have snowballs and she asked me if they would inter breed with hers. I got to explain that they are all neos so yes they would. :)

I told her about this forum and name dropped a few sponsors online stores  (that I could remember off the top of my head).

If felt good to take all the wisdom you have all shared with me and ... maybe have helped someone else out :)

I use cheap panty hose to contain the purigen in most of my filters.

I was reading about it a lot today and on one of their forum posts they mentioned that it does lose (less than 10%) effectiveness with each recharge. They said that while the bleach restores most of its effectiveness it also damages it at the same time so it might not be a great idea to use the bleach at full strength

That's fantastic!  I say you get out of a forum what you put into it.  You asked a lot of questions, offered opinions and in return you learned what works for you, and had a chance to share.  Nice job!

I'm guessing she has done the best with what little information she has gotten- which isn't surprising since very little information is available in a pet store.  "Dark reds," I'm guessing means more solid cherries.  She was probably sold that locally and the breeder said "these are dark reds."

Whatever is the case, encourage her to come here and get addicted. LOL  She sounds like a shrimper in the making! :)

Ok, thank you all. First time around I am going with the purigen in the bag. When I get the hang of it I may try it other ways.

You all made me look and feel so smart today! I had to go to the LFS to get some 'kitty crack' aka hairball treats that my cat drools over, go figure, ha ha

Anyway... like always, I ended up walking the fish aisles. I got the top for my 10 gallon (now my light isn't as strong... grrr) but I asked the worker if they had purigen. She gave me an odd look and I started to explain it. She got all excited, said she keeps shrimp (RCS and 'dark reds' ??) and had never heard of it.

The more I talked about it the more excited she got. She asked what I used in my tank (double sponge filter) what I fed my shrimp and walked me back to the little stand by the fish and started to write it all down.

I told her I have snowballs and she asked me if they would inter breed with hers. I got to explain that they are all neos so yes they would. :)

I told her about this forum and name dropped a few sponsors online stores  (that I could remember off the top of my head).

If felt good to take all the wisdom you have all shared with me and ... maybe have helped someone else out :)

Dendro, I will definitely keep that in mind, thanks!

I've often found that pet store employees often don't understand just how badly misinformed they are. Those that really are into their pets, though, are very eager to learn more. They just don't realize that what they've learned is generally a minimum of 30 years out of date. The fishless cycle blows their minds out of the water, for instance.

So true, some you can tell are just there for the pay check but she was so excited... eager for the information and I completely understand what it's like to be swimming in internet info that is so contradictory that it can make you too afraid or annoyed to try. 

I hope she checks out the forum and can meet all you GREAT people.

To be honest, I used to think that forum where just another young adult social thing (yes..showing my age). But, when I started with my betta I researched. I love to research, I do it as part of my daily job, but wow on the crazy flux. I found my betta forum....lurked...joined and OMG what I had been missing!! :) So, when I got my first shrimp and things did NOT go as well as the LFS said... I immediately found all of you! awwww GROUP HUG! lol

I'm gonna date myself, but I think having started with a betta way back when The Krib was the only real site on the internet with good information - well, it helped me learn how to identify good information. It's really a pity that it's no longer kept up to date and valued in the aquatic community. These days, you have no idea where to turn. It all sounds like so much snake oil.

I'm gonna date myself, but I think having started with a betta way back when The Krib was the only real site on the internet with good information - well, it helped me learn how to identify good information. It's really a pity that it's no longer kept up to date and valued in the aquatic community. These days, you have no idea where to turn. It all sounds like so much snake oil.

So true on the snake oil. Between the internet and youtube info I was nearly convinced NOT to keep shrimp. The info rates from "just toss 'em in a tank with plants and you are good to go!" to "If you can't provide all of these high end things that are an absolute MUST for shrimp, then you have no business trying"

I can't tell you how many times I've been at a certain LFS and seen people carrying around a fish bowl, a plastic plant or 2 and the worker helping them pick a betta to plop in there. shivers  (not that the fish bowl is bad in some circumstances but that was literally all that was said was needed, along with food of 'any kind'). I was one of those customers once.

Crazy,

I have actually stepped in at the big box stress when have seen this and explained to the buyers what they need to do. Worst case I ever came across was some parents were buying there kid one of those 30 gallon kits that has everything but the fish and water. The store employee was netting out fish and telling them that they just need to fill the tank up and let the fish float for 10 minutes and dump them in. I hade to say something they were going to put a bunch of gold fish in there. Probably they would all be dead in a couple of days with how dirty they are.

Crazy,

I have actually stepped in at the big box stress when have seen this and explained to the buyers what they need to do. Worst case I ever came across was some parents were buying there kid one of those 30 gallon kits that has everything but the fish and water. The store employee was netting out fish and telling them that they just need to fill the tank up and let the fish float for 10 minutes and dump them in. I hade to say something they were going to put a bunch of gold fish in there. Probably they would all be dead in a couple of days with how dirty they are.

It can make you cringe. I've had customers over hear me asking the employees something and they sneak to find me in and say 'you sound like you know what you are talking about, can you help me?'. I will say, I have run across workers that really do care and try but they carry so many species. 

I have stopped a woman, with that 'fish bowl' and explained that bettas are tropical, here in WA state she will need a heater and probably a filter at least. One shot me an annoyed look but one was so grateful and asked a lot of questions.

I do smile when I hear them tell a customer, "you don't want a goldfish in a bowl, that is a myth, here are some other good first fish choices". 

But I do hear the 'put two drops of this conditioner in and drop them right in' a lot. I do realize, in a lot of cases, you can really do this but there is NO explaining about the cycling that will happen after the fact or what to do about it.