USPS Hold for Pickup

OMG Aquatics

So i'm going to share my experience with you guys.

I purchased $190 of shrimp from Jason(SoShrimp) shipped via Priority Mail 1 day hold for pickup.

Package gets scanned available for pick up. I head to my post office to pick it up. They said package isn't there. I tell them this is Hold for Pickup. Only the post office address is displayed and not mine. They go, "We don't offer that service. If the address is this post office, you don't belong here and will be return to sender". I tell them that this is how it works and nothing is wrong. They tell me again they don't offer hold for pickup service. So I go on my phone and USPS.com and show them that USPS offers this. They keep repeating to me that don't offer me. 

This is my 2nd time using this service.

The first one was a plant package from Han and they wrote return to sender on the package. Good thing the clerk I went to remember they placed my package in the return to sender bin and was able to retrieve it.

So for those who receives a customer that wants Hold for Pickup, I suggest you tell them to contact their post office to make sure they UNDERSTAND such service EXIST or your customer will become very unpleasant.

That is 100% the fault of your local USPS. My local one denies any packages with live animals and they don't understand what a "large envelope" means. USPS website says a large envelope can be one that is thicker than 3/4" (not sure, I forgot), but my local USPS says a large envelope has to be LARGE! They literally said this is not large enough and they won't waste their time on me explaining even after I showed them the USPS page on my phone. I asked for the manager and they said they don't have one. I've filed a complaint but didn't get any response. Now I just drive to a farther one since they are much more knowledgeable there.

I recently went to my post office and told them that my customer wanted a hold for pick up.  Blank look,  "I don't know what that is-" quickly turned to "I don't think we offer that."  The best I could do was write HOLD FOR PICK UP on 5 sides and hope the receiving post office knew better.

I had this happen to me with a Betta package.  I had it held for pickup at UPS in Niagara Falls NY.  I went to the office where I thought the package was going to be @ Main St.  Turns out the package was at another location waaayyy along Niagara Falls Blvd.  I drove over there and asked if they had a package for me with that tracking number on it, they said YES, but wouldn't give it to me.

I got very angry and told them inside was LIVE fish and if I didn't get the package handed to me I would create all hell with UPS and hold them responsible for deaths of these fish.  I said it clearly states Hold for Pickup in Niagara Falls NY post office!  Its NOT my fault that your trucks delivered it to the wrong office.

They gave me the package and the Bettas lived.  I NEVER use this service now.  I have all my packages delivered to a US parcel service where I pick them up and track them every step of the way.  Once I know the package is in, I call them and say I will be in today to pick them up.....never had a problem with doing it this way.

So it's not just me...

Interesting.

Gotta love how USPS offers something that almost NONE of their workers at PO are aware off...

That defeats the purpose of offering such service.

Calling USPS and making a complaint atm.

I hope my BB and CRS SSS+ are doing fine where ever they are because they called the truck carrier and it's not there. It's not at the RTS bin or at the post office... 

Where are you little shrimps :(

So the USPS agent just called my local post office and spoke with the supervisor.

The supervisor said she understands this service exist?

EXCUSE ME!!???

Then why the hell are you not informing your employees about this because obviously NONE of your employees understand. What kind of useless supervisor are you? 

Their excuse for not being able to locate my package is "Oh, there's a lot of packages that are not scanned yet so come back tomorrow". 

I would have been better of with delivery instead of pick up. You guys already scanned the packages but can't find it now giving me excuses?

Can't wait to see what happens when I go there tomorrow...

Another good one.

I had a package that wasn't delivered 2 weeks ago. Rescheduled delivery 2 times. The employee comes out and shows me the 2  redelivery papers from Jan 20/22. Guess what the employee said?

"We'll speak with the letter carrier".

Shouldn't you have done that 8 days ago? 

USPS - Most unreliable service in the world.

I had shrimp delivered 2 day priority and even used my work address to make sure I didn't have to worry about them sitting around. 6 days later they arrived after a mysterious 'no info' period on the tracking system. Luckily all shrimp arrived.

Ordered something through Amazon prime - was sent 2 day. Tracking said 'delivered to recipients mail box' (on a sunday). I checked my mail box for 3 days and nothing. Finally had to contact Amazon. Oddly enough the next delivery arrived on time and said was 'hand delivered to front office'.

They complain about losing customers and yet they have been a total pain. UPS has never let me down so far.

So here is my experience with this.    I ordered shrimp a couple weeks ago.    The Seller recommended "Hold for pickup"  Id never heard of it. I thought this was a brilliant idea.   Well..   we both forgot about  Martin Luther King day so the day the shrimp were SUPPOSED to arrive, they were sitting somewhere.. who knows where.   The next day,  my dad had off and said he would run down to the post office to pick it up.   As he was leaving, the postman pulls up and hands him the package.   It clearly said "Hold for pick up all over it"     But did he hold it?  nooooooo.    All shrimp arrived dead. Not one survived.  :(    I don't know if it was the extra day sitting or being loaded on the cold truck.  It was in the 20s that day. 

So I called my post office.  They were super apologetic and they recommended I speak personally to my postman.  It turns out the mailmen load up their own trucks.     We decided from now on, when I have a hold for delivery, I will leave him a note on my mailbox a day or two before.   I did that the next time  and the package stayed at the post office like it was supposed to.   All shirmp arrived alive  and well.  

My recommendation,  Get to know your postman.  

So here is my experience with this.    I ordered shrimp a couple weeks ago.    The Seller recommended "Hold for pickup"  Id never heard of it. I thought this was a brilliant idea.   Well..   we both forgot about  Martin Luther King day so the day the shrimp were SUPPOSED to arrive, they were sitting somewhere.. who knows where.   The next day,  my dad had off and said he would run down to the post office to pick it up.   As he was leaving, the postman pulls up and hands him the package.   It clearly said "Hold for pick up all over it"     But did he hold it?  nooooooo.    All shrimp arrived dead. Not one survived.   :(    I don't know if it was the extra day sitting or being loaded on the cold truck.  It was in the 20s that day. 

So I called my post office.  They were super apologetic and they recommended I speak personally to my postman.  It turns out the mailmen load up their own trucks.     We decided from now on, when I have a hold for delivery, I will leave him a note on my mailbox a day or two before.   I did that the next time  and the package stayed at the post office like it was supposed to.   All shirmp arrived alive  and well.  

My recommendation,  Get to know your postman.  

I don't think the seller shipped via Hold for Pickup.

Hold for Pickup labels does NOT have your address on them so there's no way your carrier could have delivered it to you since your address isn't on it.

If they just wrote Hold for Pickup, that's not the same as Hold for Pickup shipping option.

Hold for Pickup is a nightmare!  No one at the post office including supervisors/managers on down to your carrier are struck dumb whenever it is mentioned.  My recommendation is don't use it.  Best bet is to track your package and call first thing in the morning when it arrives at your local post office so that they can hold it at the post office instead of loading it on the mail truck.  Yes, even then it may still go out on the truck.  :growl:

This is another great reason to live in a small town we only have 2 people who work in our post office. They love hold for pickup because they don't have to lug the packages around. But if we do have stuff shiped to the house they will bring it on the house and put it on the table for you when your away.

Hold for pickup HAS to be determined when the seller is purchasing the shipping label ONLINE. Writing hold for pickup doesn't automatically make it hold for pickup, and you cannot step in a post office to have your package shipped hold for pickup at a window. If you check online, it's clear that the service is not available in store, only online. I've had a lot of success using hold for pickup actually.

Yes I many problem with ups I told the man I charge to call me when he there and hand package but no! He give it to the restaurant my dad own and my dad was there but the man just gave it to my dad and my dad doesn't even know it was a Betta there and he gave it to me it was fine that he deliver to wrong place but the box said fragile and guess what they did the probably stand on the box because it use a median box and it was crush half way so I had to call them to tell my betta arrival dead and the box was crush and they didn't care to even give me refund and I have to call the ups head in my area and tell them about it and he fix the problem but it took like forever to get my refund and that betta was a very rare one too I was going to breed him and no it dead and now I still can't find a similar one yet I will never use ups