Multiple Accounts

r45t4m4n

Is there some type of mechanism that prevents a user from creating multiple accounts? I have begun to see alot of new usernames with less than 5 posts up in the RAOK threads. Being cynical here, but this seems like something I've seen on other forums where people create dummy accounts to increase their odds of winning.

I'm new here, just been doing a ton of lurking and research as part of project planning.  I've had a few private conversations with a couple forum members but no public posts to date.......just thought I would drop a note and chime in as this is a topic I have thought about before.

Being new, I've felt it important to only sign up for RAOKs for stuffs I could actually benefit from in an educated manner (mosses, culls).......I would hope others would do the same.  

It is a special thing (this forum) where we can interact with some of the giants in the hobby.......I owe you all a ton of thanks already.

Just thought I would chip in with my 2 cents, and say hello  :bow:

hmmmm what a great idea... we still have 24 hrs to make multiple accts to win those blue crown  rare shrimp@!

LOL.

A tank journal post should be required to be able to join a roak. At least, a live shrimp roak anyway. ;)

That seems a bit mutch I don't do journals and have been hear 9 or so months could do a minimum post count but that seems to much of a hassel.

I thought a lot about this recently. There will always be those that cheat. If there is a way to check through IP that's good. Perhaps at this small size of the forum it's not an issue, one day it will be though. Random acts are just that. Once you start calculating and evaluating who deserves its not really random. I have been very inspired by the ROAKs and tried to apply them to things in my life outside of this forum. Goes along with thinking daily about what your thankful for. These two things can help beat down cynicism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought a lot about this recently. There will always be those that cheat. If there is a way to check through IP that's good. Perhaps at this small size of the forum it's not an issue, one day it will be though. Random acts are just that. Once you start calculating and evaluating who deserves its not really random. I have been very inspired by the ROAKs and tried to apply them to things in my life outside of this forum. Goes along with thinking daily about what your thankful for. These two things can help beat down cynicism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checking IP is pretty useless in most cases. I'm sure if someone is going to cheat, they most likely won't do the obvious. They would probably be using a VPN. It's pretty much impossible to identity cheaters. The only way to stop having many cheaters would be a requirement of some kind. 

If there are requirements, new joiners would most likely not be able to attend RAOK.

To me, I don't think this is an issue.

My understanding of RAOK, is to prompt the hobby and give people a chance to try new things at none or very low cost.

So I will rethink about free shipping. may be winner pays for the shipping can block the ones no really need it.

I would agree that the RAOKs should be left as is. You will alienate others by making them exclusive. I know I was always irritated by that on other forums, especially when they made the stipulation that you had to have hosted a RAOK to participate in a RAOK. I do think that it is a good idea for those who have won to need to contact the RAOK host within 24hrs or the win will be passed on to someone else.

The purpose of having sponsors host monthly giveaways was to encourage people to join and start posting instead of just lurking.  If people start seeing suspicious activity please let Han (H4N), Soothing Shrimp, or myself know and we will look into it.