new from San Francisco

brunoboy650

.  this is the TDS meter I have.. works fine for pretty cheap   http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422744257&sr=8-1&keywords=tds+meter

Sadly you are probably going to need to use some RO water . due to your GH .    (Or distilled water)  I forget what size tank you have. If its a small tank its not bad.    If its a large tank that can get expensive.  

it will lower your PH also which is fine..    Tigers like it closer to 7 anyway.  I think 8ph is the top of the meter for them.  

I bet this is turning into a bigger project than you thought huh?

My tank is a 35gallon, it's not a huge project, just need to get it going. I know it'll be easy after everything's setup properly , thanks for the charts, I'll need to find a way to lower GH and PH and maybe KH too?

Great to see another shrimper from the Bay Area! I do 50/50 tap & RO + remineralizer and my shrimp breed like crazy.

My guesses would be: off-gassing CO2 would allow pH to rise, GH may be creeping up if top-offs have been done with tap water, and perhaps driftwood is releasing acids that are monkeying with KH?

Water chemistry is rarely cut and dried. I think unless you go with Soothing's super malawas, you're going to want RO water to keep shrimp.

My guesses would be: off-gassing CO2 would allow pH to rise, GH may be creeping up if top-offs have been done with tap water, and perhaps driftwood is releasing acids that are monkeying with KH?

Water chemistry is rarely cut and dried. I think unless you go with Soothing's super malawas, you're going to want RO water to keep shrimp.

I do have rock as well, not sure if its affecting GH but something is.I haven't really figured out how to use RO after researching, can I just mix 50/50 and in between water changes top off with RO?

That's exactly what I do. I only use a bit of remineralizer to bump up tds and GH. I think we're both in the same water supply.

Well... Nice to meet you neighbor. We share the same water supply which is San Andreas Lake. This is where the water from Hetch Hetchy is Stored for many of the surrounding counties. Here's my parameters for 50/50 RO and tap.

post-89-142294064217_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Well... Nice to meet you neighbor. We share the same water supply which is San Andreas Lake. This is where the water from Hetch Hetchy is Stored for many of the surrounding counties. Here's my parameters for 50/50 RO and tap.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1422940639.237041.jpg

Hope this helps.

Nice to meet you too, much appreciated for the chart and info on our water supply. Those numbers look good and I'll most likely do that. Where do you get your RO? And how much is it? Also I still wanna figure out what the rock is =\. I picked it up at a local fish store in south San Francisco and now I'm thinking it may have came out of a reef tank which probably has something on it?

Thanks for the link. I just feel like I don't want to waste water =/ but distilled at the store yesterday was $1 a gallon lol... Wanna sell some water?

Meta, you are a beast.

Rock consults, this forum is amazing.

Forreal, I am grateful for the knowledge here aha

If you have a local fish store or a Petco with an RO machine you can get the water for .50  per gal.     Ive heard some of the super walmarts have the machine dispensers for .35  per gal.

oh =/ so will RO water help the rock situation? and is there any other rocks that you prefer than doesn't affect the water chem?

Over time the lime stone (LS) will completely mess up your water chemistry. Due to the LS characteristics it will continue to dissolve In your tank and drive the pH up to around 8.4 this in turn will also increase the KH and possible gh depending on the composition of the LS. The prolonged use of RO water with LS will accelerate the dissolving of the LS as it will want to reach equilibrium. My own personal choice for rocks are those that are metamorphic and igneous is nature. This is due to the mineral compostion. And it's aversion to dissolving in solution. The rock that is currently in my tank is a large pice of basalt with pegmatite and feldspar inclusions.