wtb cherry shrimp

munakgirl

I was just wondering if I could get a hold of some cute cherry shrimp a lil cheaper then locally.

There is a website that sells 'sakura red' shrimp and delivers locally (for a $5 fee unless you order over $25 or fish)

they cost $1.50 each.

so total cost for 5 would be about $12.50

But they do have a 14 day fish warranty.

Just wondering if I could get about 5 shrimp for less or similar price on here?

These will be my first shrimp ever.

That price is actually really cheap. Most usually sell for $2-$3.

I suggest you read more about shrimps before getting them. I've killed over 40 cherry shrimps when I first started because I didn't read enough information on them.

If you purchase on here, shipping will usually be around $10-$15

wow lucky you and delivery?? The one LFS that does carry shrimp sells yellow and blue velvet neos for $6 to $8 each (yea seriously, lol). 

Soothing - after seeing pics here and seeing yours... I'm guessing what they are selling are decent culls. 

Delivery?! Yeah, wow.

My favorite store sells some very nice shrimp, but the tanks are full of BBA - which is the one type of algae I've never had. Makes me reluctant to buy them. I just get supplies instead.

They don't have a store, or I'd pick them up myself.

I was just worried since they list them as sakura reds and wondered if they wouldn't be as hardy.

I've read quiet a bit (bbeen doing so for the past month now while preparing my mature tank)

An why I wanted to start with a hardy neo, also I like the red shrimp. (Want to add blue tigers later as a local store sells them for 6$ each. An I think the red n blue together will be lovely)

If you want to keep neos.

You need a tank like this:

1, Substrate: pool sand or playsand from HD/LOWES, rinse well and bake at low temp overnight to kill parasite.

2, Sponge filter or HOB with inlet protection.

3, Tap water treated with Seachem Prime, or RO + remin (SS GH+), Keep GH above 8

4, pH above 7

Weekly 25% water change.

It never failed me.

I hadn't even seen people use sand with the neos yet...

An I know a local keeper who keeps them successfully (with fish) an says our water is decent as long as you treat it. He just adds a calcium mineral to help them molt.

Which he hasn't tested his tds, so I plan on finding out through testing what is missing once I get my tests in the mail.

I treat my tap with stress coat+, I use flora max black substrate (I've also read darker substrates make their colores come out better)

An I know a local keeper who keeps them successfully (with fish) an says our water is decent as long as you treat it. He just adds a calcium mineral to help them molt.

Which he hasn't tested his tds, so I plan on finding out through testing what is missing once I get my tests in the mail.

I treat my tap with stress coat+, I use flora max black substrate (I've also read darker substrates make their colores come out better)

TDS is not important, GH is.

Sand helps to stable the pH and provide Calcium shrimp needed.

If your tap water is too soft, you still need add remineralizer to increase the GH.

In this case, I also add some crashed coral to mix with it.

Can someone explain the last sentence to me. I've read it on FB pages too. Does this just mean you will be able to see the shrimp better or, on a light substrate, will the shrimp actually start to breed lighter to blend in? 

I have crushed coral sand to add to filter if I need to. But my gh test is incredibly old. An either my gh is hella high or my test wasn't working. So I'm buying a new one to test and make sure.

As far as what I've read about substrate and shrimp coloring. It seems they try to camouflage themselves but they can only make themselves a lil lighter or darker trying to match the substrate Darkness. So darker make's then darker red lighter makes them lighter or more clear.

I have crushed coral sand to add to filter if I need to. But my gh test is incredibly old. An either my gh is hella high or my test wasn't working. So I'm buying a new one to test and make sure.

As far as what I've read about substrate and shrimp coloring. It seems they try to camouflage themselves but they can only make themselves a lil lighter or darker trying to match the substrate Darkness. So darker make's then darker red lighter makes them lighter or more clear.

Well just great... ugh... I'm getting blue velvets and have a lighter sand... so they will start to breed lighter? smh

I'm unsure, but from the sources I've read seems they slowly darken or lighten at any age maybe. So it might not be that they will breed that way, but if the person that gets some juvies later they will try to match that substrate to blend in(but seeing as they are colored there instincts just make them darker or lighter to the background.. =P silly shrimps)