Nicer looking shrimp, Ellen Wang or MK

colorfan

You can't just see photos. You have to see actual shrimp itself.

If you just wanted to compare photos, you should look at other than the two name you mentioned. Here is a link of winners in recent Asia Pacific Shrimp Contest held in Japan: http://shrimp-contest.com/prize2014.html

Once again, neos seem to be overlooked. *sigh*

You can't just see photos. You have to see actual shrimp itself.

If you just wanted to compare photos, you should look at other than the two name you mentioned. Here is a link of winners in recent Asia Pacific Shrimp Contest held in Japan: http://shrimp-contest.com/prize2014.html

Once again, neos seem to be overlooked. *sigh*

Great link, hyoushoku. They are beautiful.

I agree with Soothing but want to add that it is hard to understand for me that breeders are focusing only on a handful of shrimp species for selective breeding. There are thousands of freshwater shrimp species that are out there, many of which for sure hold good promise for selective breeding.

I guess its beauty in the eye of the beholder, so breeders breed whatever traits they like themselves. I'll say that top end PRL do look way nicer in person than photos, but to say don't trust FB is kinda harsh, not everyone, especially those in the US has the chance to see nice shrimps in person. 

Female shrimps are typically bigger than male and thus looks more appealing? ( just my guess ) 

We can selectively breed traits of shrimps that we like ourselves, and over time, achieve your own ultimate goal.

Maybe with enough people selectively breeding the non typical shrimps, new category of shrimp competition can be created. 

From my point of view, it is very hard to judge base on pictures alone since an experienced photographer can manipulate the picture, to a certain extent of course. Plus how many people here have actually seen competition grade PRLs in person? The closest PRL to a competition grade I saw in person is MK Breed Super PRL at the Scape Meet I hosted and those are already very nice, especially compare to what we have in the USA. So to be judging PRLs base on picture without actually seeing the shrimp in person is somewhat unfair to the breeders that spent so much time and effort getting them to that point.

Here is a picture of the Super PRL I took with my Phone using a Macro Lense:

IMG_5762_zpsmuy6xklb.jpg