seeding a tank with bio film

TheGardenofEder

What is the best way to seed a tank, can I just take a scraper scrape some off and drop it in the new tank? I'm also useing Bacter ae I just think scrape some off a tank that's already start to jump start things

Bacter AE will give you all the bio film you need if you dose it into a cycling tank. I did that with a 10g im just finishing cycling, dosed bacter every other day for the first week and set the heat at 80.  Just over two weeks in and the BB are all colonized and now theres a nice clearish slime on everything.

idk about that but if your dosing bacter AE, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to biofilm.

How much shrimp is in your tank?

For a 10g tank with 20 shrimps, you only need to dose bacter AE maybe once every 1-3 weeks.

If you see the shrimps picking on stuff, there's biofilm for them. If they aren't, chances are biofilm is low.

I have heard breeders grow algae more because of the hands off approach.  It doesnt matter what the breeding tank looks like as long as they are producing healthy shrimp. I hear it also along the lines of shrimp dont like change. I personally hate the look of algae and always keep my glass clean, there are plenty of other surfaces in the tank that grow biofilm for the shrimp to graze on.  I have'nt fed my tank in about three weeks because of the thick almost jelly like coating on surfaces from the Bacter.

I am only learning about things like the AE product and I have never tried the scraping method. I do however, put extra things in an established tank if I am planning on setting up a new one. Then I pull out those things and put them in the new one to help. "Things" would be - filter media (including sponges) extra rocks and wood. I also use http://www.petsmart.com/fish/water-care-conditioning/top-fin-bacteria-supplement-aquarium-cycling-water-conditioner-zid36-17717/cat-36-catid-300006?var_id=36-17717&_t=pfm%3Dcategory just because someone gave it to me.

I put the extras in the established tank to get the "slime" as I call it - that's my fancy term

Algae actually produces a byproduct that the shrimp eat as food.  So while the shrimp don't eat the algae itself, they do eat the food teh algae produces.

However, some like clean glass and that is okay, too.  Other foods are available.

Then why does lowkeys tanks all have green algee on the sides of all their tanks? There is so much contradicting info on the web.