Jump to content

Snowflake Food!


Recommended Posts

I recently had an ammonia spike.

 

It killed 2 of my CRS SSS+, 1 BB

 

I don't even feed them. So how is there an ammonia spike?

 

It was the snowflake food!

 

A few days ago, I got a cup of RO/DI water and placed a brand new snowflake food piece in it. I tested for ammonia 4 days later when good amount of fungus formed. It was at 1-2 ppm ammonia!!!

 

I was told snowflake was a leave in food and does no harm. That is false!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A cup of water isn't your tank. Any time you put anything organic in water it's going to start a cycle and formation of bacterial colonies If you are getting ammonia spikes in your tank your biological is week and needs to be replenished product's bt-9, MK Z silver or seachem stability help maintain healthy biological due to environmental changes like wc and such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A cup of water isn't your tank. Any time you put anything organic in water it's going to start a cycle and formation of bacterial colonies If you are getting ammonia spikes in your tank your biological is week and needs to be replenished product's bt-9, MK Z silver or seachem stability help maintain healthy biological due to environmental changes like wc and such.

When snowflake first was introduced to the market, many have stated it does not foul your water and is a safe leave in food. 

 

That's telling me that it would not produce ammonia or anything that would cause problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with High5. 1-2 ppm ammonia in a small cup will also get diluted greatly in your tank to levels that you could not measure. An healthy ecosystem in your tank should be able to get rid of it easily.

Nevertheless, an interesting topic. I did not see adverse effects when I overfed with Snowflake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following this topic - although I have never had mine last that long in the tank, my little snowballs inhale it. It's kinda like leftovers when you have a teenage boy in the house... no such thing ha ha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When snowflake first was introduced to the market, many have stated it does not foul your water and is a safe leave in food. 

 

That's telling me that it would not produce ammonia or anything that would cause problems.

I am telling you any decaying organic matter in water will produce ammonia if biological hasn't been established. The cup of water didn't have an established biological. If you see ammonia this means that your biological is not working and I would recommend some type of nitrifying bacteria product to help with your nitrogen cycle. If you believe snowflake is polluting your water and killing shrimp, stop using it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My CRS and BB doesn't touch snowflake much but occasionally eats it so it created a lot of fungus and I didn't know it would do harm.

Usually when I feed snowflakes to my snowballs, you never see the fungus. It's gone before any is visible to the human eye.

 

My first thread.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/2562-snowflake/

 

It was forming fungus at a very fast rate that the shrimps can't keep up.

 

Everyone said leave it in.

 

The fungus remained in my tank for a good 2 weeks. And still lots left!

This was just from a 2cm pellet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...