PH for DBV's using Controsoil?

Hey All,

Friday I broke down (2) 20G tanks and set up a new 45G rimless tank. The substrate from the established tanks was UP Shrimp Sand and over a year old, so I started the 45 with a new bag of Controsoil and seeded it underneath with a couple very thin layers of the established Shrimp Sand and a sprinkled layer of BioPlus underneath on one off the layers. I was also running an Eheim 2215 on one of the old tanks and a Cascade 700 canister on the other and I moved both to the 45G so it has 2 established canister filters running. Added 1/4 old tank water and filled the rest with RO water re-mineralized with SS GH+ to a TDS of 135. I also moved the established driftwood and cholla wood to the new set up.

Sunday:

0 ammonia

0 nitrites

0-5 nitrates

TDS 136

PH 5.9

I added my 15 DBV's that I already had that I was holding in my Ebi and released them in the 45G on Sunday night. All seemed healthy and happy. I also had an order of 10 DBV's that arrived yesterday afternoon and drip acclimated for at least 2 hours and placed them in the tank last night. All good. Checked PH, TDS and PH still holding at 5.9.

I added an air bubbler last night but the PH was still 5.9 this AM. I recalibrated my PH meter although it tested fine. I also noticed one of the smaller DBV's died late this AM.

2 water testings today showed

0 Ammonia

0 Nitrites

0-5 Nitrates

5-6 GH

0-1 KH

136 TDS

What should I do? I plan to add CRS eventually but I feel this PH should be raised to a happy medium for both DBV's and CRS. Something more around 6.4 or so. Currently there are 2 berried DBV's, one of which looks like she's due any day as the eggs have turned darker. I really want these little guys to survive.

Any advice? Crushed coral? If so, how much? Or should I just leave it alone?

Thank you!

DBV is deep blue velvet?

Normally neos doesn't do good in acidic water. please keep it in pH>7 environment.

ControSoil can push pH down to 5.5 range. it's not good for DBV.

I'm so discouraged right now. I know that neo's thrive in a higher ph than CRS but I've kept them together successfully along with many other's. I read a lot of threads regarding others using Controsoil and their experience was that they began at a higher PH and it gradually lowered to the mid 6. range.

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. I still have 2 new bags of UP Aqua Shrimp Sand. Would it help if I pull the Velvet's out, drain the tank, and put the Shrimp Sand on top of the Controsoil? I had originally planned to add Old Sea Mud and Silver Z Powder under the Controsoil but it arrived later than I could wait with the time I had to set the tank up. I could add that between the Controsoil and the Shrimp Sand.

I just hate stressing out the Shrimp again...

I use ControSoil for couple new tank setup. after fill with RO water, pH goes to 5.5 directly, and stay there.

I'm so discouraged right now. I know that neo's thrive in a higher ph than CRS but I've kept them together successfully along with many other's. I read a lot of threads regarding others using Controsoil and their experience was that they began at a higher PH and it gradually lowered to the mid 6. range.

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. I still have 2 new bags of UP Aqua Shrimp Sand. Would it help if I pull the Velvet's out, drain the tank, and put the Shrimp Sand on top of the Controsoil? I had originally planned to add Old Sea Mud and Silver Z Powder under the Controsoil but it arrived later than I could wait with the time I had to set the tank up. I could add that between the Controsoil and the Shrimp Sand.

I just hate stressing out the Shrimp again...

For neos, I will suggest to use pool sand.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/2745-pool-sand-from-home-depot/

I have neos in a tank with 6.2-6.4 pH and they are growing like weeds never had a death. They actually have grown quicker and are healthier than the same stock in sand tank with pH of 7.5.  I dont know if there is a magic cut off for pH on neos but in my experience they do fine down close to pH of 6.

Thank you! That makes me feel a little better. They all looked good this AM and I haven't had any more losses thank goodness. Both momma's are still carrying their eggs. I went ahead and picked up some crushed coral so I'm going to try a small amount and see how much it raises. I don't want to have a big PH jump of course and I don't want to have a big change in the kh and gh either although I understand that the coral will raise all three.

I'm going to go with 1/8 cup in one of the canister filters unless someone tells me that's too much. Thank you to all who have replied with advice! I sure hope this works!