"Grape wood" is it shrimp safe?

Crazyfishlady

I was at my LFS today and I always browse the reptile aisle (funny how they put a lot of things there that can be for fish/shrimp). I picked up a critter keeper for an emergency QT tank (just in case).

I found a bag of "Grape wood" that says it is heat treated. About 8 different pieces in there and it was on clearance for $4. I asked the 'fish person' if I could boil it and put it with shrimp. She said "Sure, of course" hmmm

Have any of you tried grape wood? I love the look and different sizes, so I'm hoping it will be ok after some boiling of course

post-507-0-10606400-1423797845_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-04546500-1423797850_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-85719900-1423797855_thumb.jpg

Mmmmm ok, mixed reviews but most say it softens and rots quickly, though others say it's fine for 5 months at least.

Not risking it - for $4 bucks I'd toss it before risking it

Glad I asked! :D

I have some in my tank. Took a long time to make it sink and I don't really like it all that much. Dont get me wrong I think it looks cool, but it has been slowly flaking off and I wouldn't be surprised if it did rot eventually. My opinion is it isnt worth it. 

sigh - it's a shame, the wood is gorgeous but... I won't risk it so I found a friend with creepy crawlies (as I call them) and I will be giving them away.

Wood has been the hardest thing for me to get. Not that it isn't readily available but the LFS only had a bit of mopani (spelling) and I want the 'tree looking' type and it's just so expensive online. lol

Spiderwood is real nice I have gotten two pieces from Han they were like 12 bucks each. One I had shipped with some other sutff and the other I picked up in person. They want $25 each for the same size spider wood at my LFS.

Han got in a shipment a while back it wasnt on his website just a post on here in his sponsor section. When I visited a couple weeks back I think he had three pieces left and I bought one. Pm him he might still have them, also Triton probably still has some as well.