Mulberry leaves

slycat929

My shrimp receive a variety of leafy greens, but they don't seem to attack the tantora mulberry leaves with as much enthusiasm. I usually leave the leaves (whatever kind it might be) in the tank, but I noticed that the mulberry leaves seem to grow fungus within a day. I must say that any other type of leaf, such as kale or spinach, usually doesn't last very long between the shrimp and the snails. I boil the leaves before I put them in the tank too. Has anyone noticed this with mulberry? I take them out once they look funky, but would it be best to just leave them in?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder, if the mulberry were harvested while still too green, do they grow fungus when put in the tank?
I harvested mine in the fall. They started falling from the tree, but I picked some that were still on the tree, rinsed, and dried. They were still green. I do not boil them. After putting in the tank it does take a few days before shrimps are interested, so there is apparently some breakdown needed. Perhaps boiling would do the same. I leave them in for days, have not seen fungus.

I may do a test when the tree leafs out again, to see if fresh green leaves grow fungus in a tank.

No, these are the tantora mulberry leaves, so not fresh. I still boil them. They break down after a few days, but the shrimp don't seem to be too interested, which I think allows it to get nice and furry. They pretty much destroy any fresh leaves, but I always blanch first.