DIY tank 10 gallon

RyeGuy411

I have the tank sitting here for a while. Just did not know what i what i wanted it. I knew i what'd it to be a shrimp tank but did not know way i wanted to go with it bare bottom, half bare bottom, full substrate, lots of plants or few plants. After looking around i think i know what i am going to do. Its going to be a half bare bottom and i am going to try to make my own little shelf like thing in it too. This will be like a 2nd level in it so to be for plants. What i have right now is anubias plants thinking these will go on the shelf. And trying to get my my moss to grow out as i lost most of it. Ohh its a 10gal and most of this tank is going to be a DIY. Here's a ? For you all i would also like to make a dome like thing for the top of the tank so i can grow the anubias above the water but keep it humid too and see the plants. Looking for help as i dont know how to go about this yet.

Thanks for reading and with help i might end up needing

Thanks all

Yeah i was think about the tops you get with cakes but not sure if its going to be the right size or what not. All so the peace of stuff i am going to be useing to keep the gravel on its side and of the bare bottom side is going to be plastic mesh. I plan on using it to make the level/shelf.

Go with a paludarium if you want partial emersed plants, much nicer looking than trying to rig something to go on top of the tank. A 15 high has the same footprint as the 10 gallon, or you can upsize pretty easily to a 20 high (commonly found in stores and an easy width to work with as well). Just keep the height in mind when you pick your lighting and plants, it will be much less at the bottom and you will want mainly low light plants as a result.

I understand what you are saying. And i think i might have a 15 gallon high. Was not sure whT size it was but it dose have the same foot print on it as a 10 gallon but is taller by like half a 10 so. I plan on using this for some guppys to breed in later on down the road. But i think i might have found something to use for the top though. Its one of those kritter keepers. I can turn it upside down and put it in the tank it fits fine back to front but not across. But that might work out to as i was going to need to have a spot to put the hose and be able to feed the shrimp in it. Ohh and the light i will be using for this is well all natural lite. For the most part it will have low light plants in it. I have anubias right now. And some not so good looking ferns that i am going to put in it. I should also be able to see through it to as it is clear.

Ok so i got the levels/shelfs made and the gravel holder done. I dont have any water or gravel in yet as of yet. i think i going to put some moss on one of the sports thats holding up the bigger shelf. The thought is the gravel will help hold every thing down. Dont know how to get pics up here from phone but i can get them to face book so here is a link to it. Sorry about the link.

https://m.facebook.com/camie.warnecke/posts/pcb.890164447695718/?photo_id=890164361029060&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.890164447695718%26photo%3D890164361029060%26profileid%3D100001065129709%26source%3D49%26refid%3D17%26ref%3Dbookmark%26_ft_%26ftid%3Du_8_1b&mdf=1

What do you all think so far?

I did a test on the plastic in a bucket of water and some small rocks held it down so i do think it will work well. As far as putting moss all over i only have java right now and like to strands of flame moss that i am geowing out. Its going to have lots of anubais in it. I also have some not so good looking java ferns that i am going to have in it too. I am think i am going to tie them to a small rock or some drift wood. So if i want to change the look its easy to move them, or catch a shrimp.

I have some root tabs that i was going to open and speckle around the glass before i put the gravel in but not sure if its a good idea! What dose everyone think about the root tab thing.