Intake for AC50

I have an AC50 with a single sponge intake. The sponge keeps collapsing every 2-3 days and chokes the HOB. What would you guys reccommend instead? Mod a dual sponge filter, ss mesh intake? Other?

Its on my PRL tank.

Any and all feedback appareciated :)

Well that decision seems pretty unanimous! Han,  I will be placing an order soon! Maybe for a few other things as well. Man I wish I could import your plants to Canada. So nice! Will have to stick with dry goods it would appear. :(

Hans makes the best guards. I wouldn't even bother with buying them from anywhere else. His attention to detail and craftsmanship is amazing. Edges are folded over and tucked in, the rubber caps are high grade. The steel mesh is high grade and FEELS better. It's thicker than what's available from Asia.

I've been getting all my guards made by Han and have even gone as far as sending him items I need him to measure and make guards for to ensure the fit is perfect.

A lot of folks use sponge intakes for their canisters and HOB but I found that for hob, the sponges greatly reduce flow. Guards are the only way to go for HOB filters.

sounds good and yes correct dry goods haha, let me know when your ready to order :)

and thanks everyone for your kind words on my filter guards. I can say these are the BEST SS filter guards on the market! :)

post-210-142427798434_thumb.jpg

Oops forgot to add a photo. During my filter cleaning. Tried to pull out the guard (china make) and the rubber cap came off! Lucky I had contacted Han to make me new ones.

Never go with anything Chinese make. Waste of money.

Hey Han,

Shall I order via PM here, or on your site?

Thanks!

sounds good and yes correct dry goods haha, let me know when your ready to order :)

and thanks everyone for your kind words on my filter guards. I can say these are the BEST SS filter guards on the market! :)

Since your international you must send order here.

My website isn't setup for international order sorry

but here is ok for now

thanks!

I have modified a dual sponge filter on some smaller hobs and love that but when you are talking AC50 then the intake is so large that it would take some rigging to modify the smaller tube of the dual sponge to fit tightly. I prefer Han's ss guards but in my smaller tanks I needed to combine the two filters to conserve space