algae probs

aquariumlover10

Shorten the light cycle, im battling hair algae after upgrading my tanks to the Finnex planted + fixtures. I have my lights on 8 hours a day with a one hour break in the middle. Then for extra measure I only run them every other day. It seems to be working well. Im also getting some floaters from Han thay are very fast growing. I saw first hand how well they control the algae in his PRL tank. Then im looking at getting some nerite snails. So a multi prong approach.

Ive heard that both those shrimp help as well. I also hear the Amanos are escape artists. And about the DHG that I would just keep an eye on it and see how it looks, I only have low light mosses and Java ferns and they arent effected at all.

I have my Finnex Planted+ on for four hours in the morning, then two and a half hours at night, with a lighting break in between. I half dose Flourish Excel daily, or every other day. Only slight green spot algae on the glass, and one or two patches of hair algae after about ten days. I scrape off the green spot algae, and pluck out the hair algae during water changes. Like RyeGuy noted, Amano shrimp will help, as well as floaters, and I have both Amano shrimp and Amazon frogbit. Dwarf hairgrass growth is slow, but I'd rather have slower growth than be constantly fighting algae.

Be careful of the duckweed! It gets everywhere, and is hard to remove. I got rid of it only by tearing down the tank, and thoroughly rinsing all the things I would be reusing. The shrimp didn't mind the duckweed, though.

My duck weed grows so fast I fill up gallon bags of it every week and feed it to my koi fish. I use my fingers to get it so I don't catch baby shrimp in the act

I had some serious hair algae issues in my 12g tank  a few months back. My lighting is the Curent Sat + which I run 8 hrs a day on the brightest setting. I just turned down the brightness and now just about all the algae is gone. I still run it 8 hrs a day. A lot of lights such as the BeamsWork sit directly on top of the tank which is too close and will cause algae isssues. IMO I think the best way to control your algae is to raise your light and not necessarily shorten the length of time you keep it on. I recently found these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261720099354?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm growing crypts,anubias,ferns and moss with them. For a shrimp tank they're perfect. I don't know if they make one for you tank size.

I had some serious hair algae issues in my 12g tank  a few months back. My lighting is the Curent Sat + which I run 8 hrs a day on the brightest setting. I just turned down the brightness and now just about all the algae is gone. I still run it 8 hrs a day. A lot of lights such as the BeamsWork sit directly on top of the tank which is too close and will cause algae isssues. IMO I think the best way to control your algae is to raise your light and not necessarily shorten the length of time you keep it on. I recently found these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261720099354?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm growing crypts,anubias,ferns and moss with them. For a shrimp tank they're perfect. I don't know if they make one for you tank size.

Mayphly,

How "expandable" are the aquatic life LEDs?.........I'm looking for a 36" fixture which they don't sell at this price point.  I'm curious if the 30" version could be used on a 36" tank.

Now that I'm typing this I'm unsure if the "expandable" part of their description pertains to the legs, or the ability to add additional LEDs.  

The 20" will fit on a tank 26" in length.

I would message the seller your question just to be sure about the 30".

You can add additional led's. You can join 2 fixtures together.

• 2 weeks later...