Visiting ATM (Tanked) & Brett Raymer in Las Vegas

christinenha

I just got back from Las Vegas and thought I'd share my visit to ATM. It's not really shrimp related (although I was tempted to ask them to build a shrimp tank for me. Lol...). If you're ever in the area and want to see some nice custom tanks, make sure you visit them! =D

Thanks, guys. The show makes it seem like they don't do any acclimation/cycling on their tanks, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt because they can only fit so much in one episode, and cycling/acclimation is the most boring part of setting up a new tank. Regardless of how they do this, what really inspires me are the types of tanks that they create. It's so great to see how they can transform an otherwise ordinary item into a beautiful tank.

Sooooo what did you buy?

I just bought a red t-shirt. Nothing huge. =P

Why no tank the size of your house?

The smallest custom tank I saw looked like it was 5 gallons and cost $3,500. A tank the size of a house would probably cost near the price of a real (modest) house. Not sure if I'm that ballin' yet. Lol.

Most don't know any better. I think a majority if folks still picture colored gravel with gold fish when you ask then what their idea of aquarium and fish keeping is.

Aquascaping is pretty niche and shrimp keeping is VERY niche. It's growing and as the hobby grows, perception will change.

My bet, if any of those folks saw a nature scape or freshwater invert, their minds would be blown.

This also explains why certain things in the hobby still sell and make money when it doesn't make any sense. [emoji13]

The smallest custom tank I saw looked like it was 5 gallons and cost $3,500. A tank the size of a house would probably cost near the price of a real (modest) house. Not sure if I'm that ballin' yet. Lol.

Mind. Blown.

I don't fork out for an $80 tank. Think I'm your resident cheapo (my crays live in a Sterilite tub that I dumped some old clothes out of).