Sponge filters driven by powerheads

I'm planning a to set up a shrimp tank/rack in my basement office, and thus have concerns about the "bubbling" noise associated with air-driven sponge filters.  

Because of this, my initial idea is to use low-flow powerheads to drive sponge filtration.  

• Are there any drawbacks to using powerhead-driven sponge filtration?  I don't see this setup utilized in any of the posted journals/pics.  Why?
  • Am I making too big of a deal about noise?  Is there a way to "tune" air-driven sponge filters so noise isn't an issue?
  • I see some sponge filters that are "stackable", allowing for 2 (single) sponge filters to be used 1 on top of the other.  Again, this isn't something I see in other forum tanks........any specific reasons as to why?  Would this be a reasonable idea if using a powerhead to drive them?

Big thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read or respond.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.

The dual sponge filters that suction cup onto the glass are basically completely silent. The round one that sit on the substrate and bubble straight upwards make some noise. I have found the air pump to generally be louder than the sponge filters. I wouldnt worry about it at all.

Ive found most of the noise from sponge filters comes from large bubbles popping at the surface of the water. To cut down on the noise I use small airstones in all of my sponge filters. The airstones produce many smaller bubbles that, when they pop at the surface, sound more like a lightly fizzing soda. It's not noticeable at all unless you open the lid to the tank.

• 3 weeks later...