what a way to spend a morning....searching a bucket for baby shrimps!

monty703

So this am I was syphoning up the poop out of my breeder box and noticed a molt!

OK who molted and why?   Well it was my first Carbon Rili female and I saw a few babies

clinging to the sides of the box.  Now I had to go look thru all the dirty poopy water to see

if I had sucked anyone up :phew:

Luckily after spending 15 mins bending over the darn thing in the bathroom holding a magnifier in one hand and an led light in the other I spotted a couple of babies, hiding in the muck!  Why they do that I don't know but all babies seem to like doing it :D

I fished them out and YES they are Blue!  So the Daddy is one of my Blue Dreams.  I think I have

a mix of them, as some are definitely blue in color, the others more clearish.

Happily they are munching on a piece of dirty filter floss, which is probably better for them than POOP!

Another thing only shrimp folk will understand. Frantically huddled over a bucket with a magnifying glass and a flashlight. :) I had to do this not too long back so save some babies. 

I never did feel completely confident dumping the bucket out after that... lol

I heard soothing give a good tip a few years ago. If you spin the water in the bucket the babies will try to swim against the current. I swear no matter how careful I am I always find a few babies when siphoning substrate.

Yep, did that this am inside the breeder box to make sure no babies were in the muck....did see a couple hiding in some though.

Got clever and put the syphoned water in a plastic container and put it over a piece of white paper, then put the led flashlight across the top and used the magnifier to check if anything was in it....even bumped the side a bit (I found babies will jump when you do this, and try to get away from it, so you see them)    NO babies in there.....Yay.

Blue Wizard also was empty this am, so she's dumped her load in the breeder box too (now I have more babies to search for) LOL

I netted her out and put her back in the main tank and noticed immediately blue males swimming frantically around, so I guess I will have her back in the box soon enough.

I also found a good sized youngster on my filter, that I haven't seen before....nothing that small in this tank!   No I am intrigued as I don't know what it is.....its blue for sure, so could be a blue dream or an OEBT????   I have a couple of OEBTs that have been MIA for a while, so will need to check my whisper filter....they could be living in there.

I always used a white bucket for water change. It's easier to see the baby shrimp. I try to siphon from the center of the tank where usually are no shrimp. I watch the tube end to make sure. But last change I actually found a baby in the bucket, got past me somehow.

I have a stainless steel mesh (the kind used on intakes) on the end of my vinyl hose to avoid sucking up anything I don't want during water changes.