how is my cycle doing?

I'm two weeks into my cycle here's the parameters

ammonia is 5 ppm

nitrites are 0 ppm

nirtate is at 0 ppm

This was not the case a few days ago did my bateria colony crash? The only difference I did was add plants and my nits went 0. What do I need to do?

do a 80% WC.

get ammonia down to 1ppm.

if you had a little nitrites and now none,the plant may have taken care of it.

it means you have some bacterial,but not enough to take care of the ammonia.

you'll see a spike in nitrites when you do.

you want ammonia right now,but to much slows it down.

I think people say that because your removing some of the food source(for beneficial bacteria) from the water.

You can remove the plants and see if nitrates build up.

I just started using Tetra SafeStart on my new tank. No nitrite(Their site claims it stays 0 which seems to be true. Only ammonia and nitrates.

My cycle restarted after not having enough ammonia creation.  I used tetra safestart and added a couple baby guppies and it was back on track in 24 hours.   Now I have to try to catch the baby guppies around all my plants..  hehe

And I read not to do water changes during ur cycle

This is true when you are using a substrate that does not leach amonia. Since you are using ADA and cycling with alkaline water which is reccomended, it will pull large amounts of amonia out of the substrate at first. This can cause excess amonia levels to accumulate which will inhibit the colonization of your nitrifying bacteria. You do need to do large water changes at first when cycling ADA and once your amonia levels are down then you can really begin the cycle. Once the amonia leach is stable then stop doing water changes until the cycle is complete.

If you can I would go with Shrimpy Daddy. I have been using the products for 12 days now and the changes already in coloring and shell thickness is pretty obvious. Im waiting a month before posting before and after pictures, my mosses are growing incredibly fast and lush as well. I would buy all the products in the line, they are meant to work as a comprehensive system.

• 3 weeks later...

You need seeding material like media from establish filter and substrate from your friend's fish tank to do short cut. I have a record - when I set up my third tank it took me 5 days to cycled it. Fist I squeeze a foam from my established filter in to the water and in 2 days 4ppm ammonia gone to 0 then I add substrate from established tank and nitrite drop to 0 in 3 more days I've done a final test with 2ppm ammonia which converted to nitrate in 24 hours. I believe ammonia eating bacteria leave in the media and sponges and nitrite eating bacteria like more to be on substrate.