Bio-Culture SMW

ramawo

I remember back in 2012 people were using this in Europe and Asia.  People reported it didn't change gh too much, and just lowers ph a little. It did raise TDS as I recall.  Basically it was dissolved rock turned into a solution for over 20 minerals to be added for shrimp and plant health.  Can be used with freshwater and saltwater.

I don't think I've ever read a bad review on it.  Hmmmmmmmmmm....how come I've never used it then?

I don't remember if it was a remin or an additive though...

Let me do some quick googling here... Looks like it is still being made.  Here's some info: http://www.predatoryfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?17105-Aquarist-Chamber-New-Arrival-Bio-Culture-SMW&s=7bc2365ef1fae9b80b939d7728aac3dc&p=66748&viewfull=1#post66748

I also found this: "SKA notes: We use this in conjunction with Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp GH+ to remineralize our RO water to add trace minerals. When dosed directly in the tank it has a similar effect as breeding liquid but generally that is not recommended as it can lower the ph of the water if overdosed (not recommnended to use with Tiger Shrimps, Sulawesi or Neo's)"

Lol those are my notes!

As "I" said above it is just a source of trace minerals and lots of breeders in Asia seems to vouch for it. It is part of my water change routine nowadays if I am using bee shrimp GH+

I've never had experience with it but heard lots of good stuff. From what I remember, it's an additive. When I asked MK about it, he said his blood diamond is basically the same thing since he did a chemical analysis on SMW and formulated "his own" blood diamond. I bought it and have used it for just over a month and I have no idea if it works or not. It doesn't have any negative effects from what I can tell though (like many other shrimp products). I'd still be interested in trying SMW if anyone is interested in bringing them in. They're just very expensive for an additive. I didn't know anyone in the US even knowing about them.

I use it often. One of my secret products. I use it the day after each water change in all my tanks. Or my tabs I don't do water changes much in I dose every 2 weeks to refresh trace minerals the shrimp need

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MK's Blood diamond is roughly $20 for 9.6 ounces (284 ml)

Bio-Culture SMW is roughly $20 for 3.4 ounces (100.5 ml)

Directions are identical:

For new tank setup, add 10 ml for every 100 liters (~25 gallons) of water. For maintenance, add 10 ml to 100 liters (~25 gallons) of water weekly. For water changes, add 10 ml in every 20 liters (~5 gallons) of new water. Use half dosage for saltwater applications. Avoid overdosing.

That's cost break down.  As to which performs better- ???

Hard to say, I have never tried MK blood diamond but i know with SMW costs does go now a bit if you go for the 1000ml bottle.  Here in Canada we sells it for $81 Canadian so that would be approx. $65 US. Does MK Blood Diamond comes in larger sizes?

Bio-Culture SMW 1000ml Bottle ($81 cdn / ~ $65 USD)

MK's Blood diamond =  $7 / 100ml
Bio-Culture SMW = ~ $6.50 / 100ml

Also available in a 300ml bottle (closest to MK Blood Diamond 284ml size)

Bio-Culture SMW 300ml Bottle ($37 cdn / ~ $30 USD)

MK's Blood diamond =  $7 / 100ml
Bio-Culture SMW = ~ $10 / 100ml

Problem with Bio-Culture SMW is the distribution - their prices would go down significantly if someone brought in a large quantity but until then there is only really only a couple places to get them and they are both in Canada.

yes MKBlood Diamond is available in larger bottles, but there has to be a bigger demand for those bottles to get the distributor to bring them in.

Id carry larger bottles if there was enough demand for them.

I plan on carrying a few larger bottles of the SL-Aqua version and also their remineralizer.

Remember that what I said was just something that MK told me when I mentioned SMW. It was something that was meant to encourage me to make a purchase of his product. As to how similar SMW and blood diamond are, we really have no way to find out. Just want everyone to remain skeptical on claims that sellers/others make instead of believing in everything and passing those information on as if they are facts.

For me I first started using it because of several asian breeders were using it and because I was told that Bee Shrimp GH+ lack some trace minerals. At the time that thought it would be the prefect compliment to Bee Shrimp GH+ (which I enjoy using).  I continue to use it with my water changes because it has a couple other beneficial side effect for me (other than trace minerals)

1) it lower the pH of my new water 
2) it increase TDS (~ 50tds) 

Both of those two things allow my new water to be closer in parameters to the existing water in my tanks

I just started using SMW and it definitely does something, not sure if it's beneficial or not.  I added 10 mL to 5 gallons of RO/DI, got a TDS reading of 57 ppm.  I let it sit for a while, probably 4 hours and used it for a water change.  Everyone immediately started to "dance" even the detritus worms surfaced for a quick jig.  My pH dropped from 5.5 to 4.0, recovered to 5.5 in a few hours.

• 4 months later...

OHOH.  I used this the other day with RO water on my fancy red tiger tank....but I did a 50% water change as I thought I had a bacterial bloom going on (tank looked cloudy)   Next am ALL my shrimps including my OEBTs were all sitting on the top/sides of the sponge filter at the surface of the water.   NOT one was on the floor....I thought I was killing them.

Now they seem to be OK although some are still eating stuff on the sponge filter, but maybe it shot my parameters up.

PH 6.0

Ammonia 0

GH 8 (high because I was using tap water till the water change)

KH 0-1

• 10 months later...

I have been using SMW for a year,remineralize my distilled water with Salty to 70tds +20 tds SMW +60 tds of Mosura TDS Up = 150 tds ~ GH

I can say I have never had a molting problem since I started using SMW and it does control bad algae.