New shrimp keeper!

Aiko

Hiya all I'm new to these forums and to keeping aquatic life thanks to my lfs got my tank cycled =) lost no shrimps doing it I own just plain ghost shrimp at the moment ( I still think they are cute) I have 10 so far in a 10gal tank. I have little hornwort do far and planing on getting some java miss when I can =). Well hiya all

I believe there's three different species of ghost shrimp and I know i

At least one does have a larval stage but it's a freshwater larval stage so I don't know about the others so but I think they're all fresh water larval

will they be fine if I already use fresh water salt in my tanks? the LFS swear by freshwater salt they said they use it in all there tanks.

That depends on how much salt you are using, and also on what species of shrimp you have.

My personal thoughts: small amounts of salt in freshwater fish tanks is fine, but as the recommended dose increases, the more likely the person doing the recommending has a chronic parasite issue.

They won't be able to identify for you.

Look up Palaemonetes paludosus. That is the scientific name of the species that you most likely have. Compare online photos with your shrimp. We would need very clear photos and someone more versed in identification for a positive ID, but based on where you purchased them, I would go with that until more compelling evidence points to a different conclusion.

The good thing about P. paludosus is that its larval stage does not require brackish water. So no marine salt mixes are needed. The bad thing is that it has a larval stage and the larvae are very hard to raise. They often do not get enough food.