As a photographer and broadcaster - I can say with a measure of authority that lighting source will make a huge difference in how the colors are rendered.  Fluorescent and LED lights give off light in discrete and narrow bands.   Our eyes are able to perceive these differences and our mind adjusts perception - but electronics can't.   Continuous spectrum light -- from the sun or incandescent lights give off colors along the entire spectra.  In order for this device to work well it would need to have lighting with a high CRI# (Color Rendering Index).  I'd guess that the CRI  should be 90 or above for florescent or LED sources -- perhaps as low as 85.  High CRI bulbs are more expensive - so if this is used under cheap fluorescent lighting one should expect inaccurate and even inconsistent results.    

I though that was the whole point of that device you take a picture of your strip and the color card. Then the app automatically compares the color card to what it should be then uses that information to analyze the test strip. Isnt that the purpose of the app, to account for lighting differences by comparing your color card to a control through the app? If the system is just a test strip with inconsistent results based on lighting it is a complete waste of time and money.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on how this is working out for peopel? Are the results consistent? Do the results match close to your old liquid testers? Seams like a good time saver for people with many tanks.

I received the package from Germany.  Just have not had time to get it set up yet. Hoping this weekend to get to it.  When I do I will give a follow up of my humble opinion.

Finally had a little time to test out this baby.  App loads very quickly and easily on phone - I have a Samsung Galaxy note 4.

Easy directions to follow.  Push Start button on program on phone. ( does a 60 second countdown) Put test strip in water for 2 to 3 seconds.  Dangle strip over towel for a couple seconds, position on the waterproof color card. Position the phone over the card - make sure in good light and no shadows cover any of the card or strip.  Phone will scan the strip on the card automatically with your camera and report the results on the next screen.  The app is very picky about making sure you position the strip properly on the card - and will let you know if it is not correctly placed on the card.

The results:  Well - it is a strip.  The first pass gave me results of pH 7.2, Nitrate, Nitrite, chlorine all 0, CO2 <15, GH <6

Second Pass - pH <6, Nitrate 10, Nitrite 0.25, Chlorine 0, gh <3.

I checked my reading with api - pH 6.8, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia 0 TDS meter 154 (assuming that is around 5-6 gh)

Lighting is very important when using this app.  I tried one in the kitchen on the counter where the tank is and one on the front deck where the lighting is brighter - as you can see - 2 different results.  I would be interested in learning how Dunkendabears uses his to get really consistent results..

I also did a check with Sera strips - pH 6.4, Nitrate & Nitrite 0, GH >6, KH 0

Test kits have always been a crap shoot for me.  I think I have tried every one that is out there that does not cost over $100.

Lots of variables and different results.  I really try to stay on top of what is going on in my tank.  But time does get away from me sometimes I have one of those Seachem Ammonia strips in my tank that alerts me to any changes and that seems to be accurate. I keep an eye on my shrimp daily and if I see anyone that looks the slightest bit questionable, I test immediately.

I'm going to keep using this new fangled app and strips (afterall I did get 24 strips with the kit). I like the techie-ness of it on my phone. But I will have to see how well I am able to perfect using it before I spend similar money for more strips.