Inaccurate Gh and Kh Test Kit?

Necrectic

Just wanted to share my comparison between the Hanna HI 3840 test kit and the API GH test kit.

I just tested the GH of 2 different tanks using both kits. I tested both tanks twice and got the same results both times.

On Tank 1 It took 16 drops to change indicator solution from pink to blue. 16 drops = 4.44 GH (in German deg.)

API kit took 5 drops to change color from orange to green. This gives me a GH of 5.

On Tank 2 It took 16 drops to change indicator solution from pink to blue. 16 drops = 4.44 GH (in German deg.)

API kit took 6 drops to change color from orange to green. This gives me a GH of 6.

There are several different test kits available on the market. I think it's just a matter of prefference at this point. One is not necessarily better than the other. I am convinced that as long as I keep those parameters stable I will have happy shrimp. A GH of 4-6 should be fine for most shrimp we keep anyways. I will use the Hanna test kit as I continue to experiment with Shrimp Daddy products. The draw back of the Hanna is that it cost over twice as much as API, contains 5ml less than API and you need to use almost 3 times the amount of drops to achieve your results than API. Just my 2 cents.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to share my comparison between the Hanna HI 3840 test kit and the API GH test kit.

I just tested the GH of 2 different tanks using both kits. I tested both tanks twice and got the same results both times.

On Tank 1 It took 16 drops to change indicator solution from pink to blue. 16 drops = 4.44 GH (in German deg.)

API kit took 5 drops to change color from orange to green. This gives me a GH of 5.

On Tank 2 It took 16 drops to change indicator solution from pink to blue. 16 drops = 4.44 GH (in German deg.)

API kit took 6 drops to change color from orange to green. This gives me a GH of 6.

There are several different test kits available on the market. I think it's just a matter of prefference at this point. One is not necessarily better than the other. I am convinced that as long as I keep those parameters stable I will have happy shrimp. A GH of 4-6 should be fine for most shrimp we keep anyways. I will use the Hanna test kit as I continue to experiment with Shrimp Daddy products. The draw back of the Hanna is that it cost over twice as much as API, contains 5ml less than API and you need to use almost 3 times the amount of drops to achieve your results than API. Just my 2 cents.

You can double even quadruple the water volume to give you more precise result.

BTW, if API takes 5 drops to change color, the result is 4-5GH. not 5GH.

You can double even quadruple the water volume to give you more precise result.

BTW, if API takes 5 drops to change color, the result is 4-5GH. not 5GH.

James, just wondering how do you come up with 4-5?

James, just wondering how do you come up with 4-5?

pretty simple:

if the water under test has GH4.01, it won't change color when you add 4 drops. it would change when you add 5th drop.

if the water under test has GH4.99, it won't change color when you add 4 drops. it would change when you add 5th drop.

so you add 5 drops and color changed, the range could be 4.01 to 4.99, in short GH4-GH5.

Another way to look at it.

the pure water has GH0. so you add one drop. doesn't mean pure water has GH1? no. it's range is 0-1.

If you double the water volume, now you can identify the range 4.0-4.5 and 4.5-5.0. by divide the drops by 2.