Safe Driftwood?

Necrectic

There was a recent post on the exact type of wood. Technically it is "safe" but the consensus was not reccomended. It breaks down quickly and makes a mess, there was also something said about possible sap or something being released from the wood.

Isn't that the one they call Mopani?  I have used it before but it took soooo long for it to get waterlogged enough to sink

that I never used it again...took a week in a bucket with a big stone holding it down.   I use the dark stringy type wood

with the holes in it.  I also have used spiderwood too, but sometimes you get a white jelly like film that grows on it and

its slimy...prefer the hole type driftwood.

I have a large piece of mopani in my new tank. That sucker leaked tannins like I have never seen, lol. I boiled it for a week, but it sank right away, I just had the time (setting up the tank). I know the tannins are good, but...the water was dark tea for about 4 days and I wanted to leech some of it out.

It is the one piece of wood that has grown the white fungus but I'm told that's fine and normal and will eventually go away. The piece is beautiful so I'm keeping it.

Grapewood is the wood I had posted about that I was told is awful, so that stuff did not get into the tanks.

Not much to add. Agree on grape wood it falls apart. Agree Mopani sinks like a rock and leeches lots of tannins, manzanita usually doesn't and is often mounted to slate for that reason. Malaysian sinks like a rock as well and has become my favorite though it's typically not branchy. I do find my shrimp will eat the Malaysian wood and often don't take commercial foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's the stuff I have too....Malaysian.  You are right the shrimps constantly graze on it and mommas hide inside the holes. It also reduces PH in a tank with gravel or soil that doesn't decrease PH, so keep that in mind.  I have plain old aquarium gravel in one of my tanks and my tap water is PH 7.6, but that tank has driftwood and the PH is 7.2.