Rili shrimp dropping eggs *UPDATED*

Lyana

Hi, still fairly new to shrimp here. I recently got some rili shrimp and two were even berried and both hatched and the babies grew really fast! But I noticed that all the females I started with drop their eggs right after berrying even though they are bigger then the ones that came to me pregnant and hatched.

This has happened to 8 shrimp that I have seen. The shrimp are active and seem heathy other then that.

Ammonia and nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

Gh 7

Kh 7

Ph 8.2

Tds 167

Temp 75

If anyone has any thoughts it would be much appreciated!

Updated on page 2

Typically first time berries shrimp will drop most if not all of there eggs. How long have you had the shrimp and what is the are of the tank set up.

Also your pH is high try to get it down to around 7.5.

How did you yest your gh kh.

have a gneiss day

I agree with metageologist, try to drop ph to 7,5 if you can. My noes doing better in water with ph less then 7.5. The simple way just put some almond leaves and alder cones in the tank they also provide your shrimps with extra food of bacteria grow on them and when decompose your shrimps can eat the leaves.

I've had the shrimp a month and a half. They're in a ten gallon tank with plants and pool filter sand. The ph comes out of the tap at 8 then settles in the tank at 8.2, the gh and kh are 5 from tap. I do have some leaves and cones in there but they haven't lowered the ph at all.

All of my tests are with api liquid kits.

Thanks again :)

I've had the shrimp a month and a half. They're in a ten gallon tank with plants and pool filter sand. The ph comes out of the tap at 8 then settles in the tank at 8.2, the gh and kh are 5 from tap. I do have some leaves and cones in there but they haven't lowered the ph at all.

All of my tests are with api liquid kits.

Thanks again :)

If you have a HOB filter I would get some peat and put it in the filter. I'm not questioning your ability to test your water but experience tells me for a pH of 8.0 you kh should be double that. Do you shake the test tube violently between drops. Also where are you located, there may be others on here near you with experience with your tap water.

have a gneiss day

If you have a HOB filter I would get some peat and put it in the filter. I'm not questioning your ability to test your water but experience tells me for a pH of 8.0 you kh should be double that. Do you shake the test tube violently between drops. Also where are you located, there may be others on here near you with experience with your tap water.

have a gneiss day

I have ordered some peat and will see how that helps. I thought the same thing about the ph and kh. The old place I lived had 7.8 ph out of the tap and kh was 10. It also settled to 8.2 in my tank. I only invert the bottle after each drop I will try shaking it and see if it's different but I've tested a few times already. I was surprised by the weird readings too.

I live in Spokaen Wa.

Well, i did the tests again, shaking between each drop with ph and kh.

Tap

Ph 7.8

Kh 4

Tank

Ph turns a red color that doesn't really match any of the colors. But I think it's 8.2, it already did this but is more red if I shake between each drop.

Kh 6

Based on my noob experiment in my tank, your PH and KH in the tank might be affected by coral chips, limestone and aeration (if you have those things).. so while the alder cones and leaves trying to lower your ph, those things I mentioned before were raising the Ph.

Hm, I only have a HOB filter, no limestone or anything. Would carbon, even though it's like 3 months old do anything?

I took the tests again this morning and ph out of the tap is testing 8.2? My planted tank after the co2 has been off all night is 7.8 and the shrimp tank is 8.2. So weird, the tap shouldn't change that much!

Hm, I only have a HOB filter, no limestone or anything. Would carbon, even though it's like 3 months old do anything?

I took the tests again this morning and ph out of the tap is testing 8.2? My planted tank after the co2 has been off all night is 7.8 and the shrimp tank is 8.2. So weird, the tap shouldn't change that much!

Carbon will have no affect on water properties as it is inert as far as the aquarium trade is concerned. It's not really but that does not apply here.

Also pool filter sand is inert as it is quartz or silica dioxide whichever you prefer.

As far as you pH swing goes in your tap water this is due to your municipality using a combination of surface and ground water as its potable water source. If you were to track you water properties on a daily basis you would likely see large variation in all paramiters. unfortunately at this point you will problem need to start adjusting you water with RO and or DI reminerized. To get your levels into a more favorable range. Your lucky you have a small tank. Talk to your local fish stores see if any of them sell it all ready reminerized. Hope this helps.

have a gneiss day

Thanks for the help all, this forum is pretty awesome. I was mixing 50/50 at my old place, which was right down the road, because the gh/kh were high but the ph was still 8.2. So when I moved here with gh/kh 5 I didn't see the point.

Before I go crazy trying to mess with my water is high ph a likely reason for shrimp to drop their eggs?

Thanks for the insight Meta. That makes sense. I'm going to add the peat when it gets here later this week and see if that helps lower ph. If not I will be looking into RO water.

Well, I added the peat to my 5.5 gallon blue pearl tank and after adding a bunch sometimes the ph will go down to 8 but other times i test its back to 8.2. Can there be something in my tap water causing high ph but only a kh of 4? My blue pearls have only bred once and the have saddles for a month before berrying.

Sigh, Am i the only one who can't seem to breed neos in tap water?

I'm thinking of just getting an ro unit and being done with it lol. If I do that is there anything else I need to add back to the water besides salty shrimp gh+?

well soothing, you just cost me over a hundred dollars lol! :D  I just ordered the ro unit and remineralizer.  I should have known better then to join a forum full of shrimp obsessed people.  ;)

I'm really excited to see how my shrimp do once I get them switched over though!

Well my ro unit came but is missing an elbow, so I have to wait to get that in the mail before I can set it up. But the ph pen I got says the ph in the tank is 8.6! I really hope they start breeding better once I change their water over.

Do I need kh buffer for them? Or will the breed with control soil and a ph of 6.5?