Halfsiders?

I haven't heard of them before, what are those?

I didn't think chimera was something that could be passed on like that. 

Neither did I, however since shrimp genetics are still mysterious, and more and more halfsiders are becoming common in Europe- it's beginning to look like inverts may be able to have some kind of genetic coloring disposition emulating (or indeed real) chimera.

True chimera are two different embryos that failed to split.  Twins in one body so to speak.  Who knows if it works teh same way in shrimp.

I know of an experiment that took a halfsider x TB, and wound up with 30% halfsiders.  So genetics of this look pretty promising.

To find out conclusively if this was chimera, each side would have to be tested and the genetics compared.  If each DNA side is different, then it is true chimera.  If not, then we know it is some kind of coloring issue.

• 1 year later...

Soothing why don't you breed it yourself? 

I have a tank with spotted heads (high grade, looks like pure line cover) with pinto and tb which gives me often halfsider shrimplets.

I think it is due to that my spotted heads are bred with tiger x tb -> f1 x tb so on... and then those shrimp x pure red/black line -> ....... x pinto.

They contain odd/big genepool 

Ive got one that is patterned differently on each side...

Left side is all black except an eyebrow and a tail stripe,  right sides got white blotches that cut off right in the middle it it's back.

Is this the kind of thing youre talking about?   Ive never heard the term "halfsiders"     

TLf5Wyem.png JCPfRtym.png

Terrible blurry pics.. I know...

I love Soothing's explanation. It's how 2 different embrios became one: one side looks like one and another side - like the other embrio. Someone posted a picture on facebook not so long ago. I'm not sure but I think a shrimp in that picture looked like red wine on one side and blue bolt (?) on the other. Very weird and cool!

I found this taitibee today. Would this be considered a halfsider? Maybe the beginning of one? lol!

DSC_7513a.JPG

DSC_7394a.JPG

DSC_7448.JPG

DSC_7602.JPG

Is it just me or do its eyes also look like they belong to two different shrimp? O.o I'm on board with the chimera explanation.

16 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Is it just me or do its eyes also look like they belong to two different shrimp? O.o I'm on board with the chimera explanation.

Definitely something going on with that eye. I'll have to keep an "eye" on him. Okay that was bad! lol!

I had to look it up.  Is it actually  bilateral gynandromorph?  If this is true, it would have to be a species with distinct differences between male and female in order to really notice it?