8.5 G Cardinal Sulawesi

ctaylor3737

Have this on TPT if anyone has seen it before. I have 15-20 Sulawesi Cardinals about two months now.

Equipment, aqua clear 50 sponge intake.

Temp: 83F

PH: 8.5

TDS: 250

RO water with Salty Shrimp 8.5

Marco Rock, Aragonite Substrate

3 rabbit snails

Best thing I have found with these guys is being stable. I do not do water changes, I top off only,with RO. One a month I'll drip in some mixed water to keep the levels up. I do small changes if the TDS goes higher. Always match the water change down to the temperature.

I always drip,the water in also. You will kill some by just pouring the water in, trust me done this before. I also lost 15 of them when my stand collapsed it was awful. I had to do an emergency fill and they didn't make it.

When you get them I took 3 hours to drip acclimate them and didn't lose any. 2 months later I have 2 berried females. Hard to get a pictures they are shy shimp especially to flash.

post-124-139782895545_thumb.jpg

post-124-139782898623_thumb.jpg

post-124-139782900955_thumb.jpg

post-124-139782903274_thumb.jpg

post-124-139782906326_thumb.jpg

post-124-139782909903_thumb.jpg

post-124-139782912633_thumb.jpg

post-124-139782916206_thumb.jpg

-Chris

I think those are some of the prettiest looking shrimps out there. One of these days I'd like to try my hand at those. What do yours eat? I have heard they can be finickey eaters.

I think those are some of the prettiest looking shrimps out there. One of these days I'd like to try my hand at those. What do yours eat? I have heard they can be finickey eaters.

They usually eat the biofilm and the left overs I feed the snails. They do pretty well with just that. I sprinkle in some growth and spiralina powder sometimes. They don't really pile on food like other shrimps. Feed more at night to. If you cut,the light on at night they actually turn white its so weird.

-Chris

Nice job! Grats on your success breeding them.  have you implemented a breeding program? culling? or just gonna let em loose, so to speak.  Also, was wondering if you noticed any differences in the colors of the first gen.

Awesome tank sir!  A rewarding challenge for sure :)

What size tank is that?

Deep blue 8g think it's their size 12.

Nice job! Grats on your success breeding them. have you implemented a breeding program? culling? or just gonna let em loose, so to speak. Also, was wondering if you noticed any differences in the colors of the first gen.

No they breed true and will stay the same colors. I just letting them go for now.

Awesome tank sir! A rewarding challenge for sure :)

Thanks!

what kind of tank is that i like it. i would love to get a nice cube like that

My lfs has them, I tried looking online for them but haven't seen rhem. They come in a few sizes they have a 2.5g a 4.5g and the 8g that I have seen.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Chris! Keep an eye on the snails, they create huge water problems if one dies. And boy do they smell awful, I gagged when I pulled out a dead one!

Yea I will, they are really cool. My cardinals love them they ride around on Thier shells all the time. Used them to stabilize the tank the first time.

-Chris

Yea small babies. That's why they are still pricey. Survival rate Is also low on these shrimplets.

-Chris

Oh you will be, keep reading lol. I'll admit though I got cardinals before I got red crystals. Had tons of neos before and fell,in love with them

-Chris

So I noticed today my cardinal is only carrying two eggs. It should be about the time she was supposed to have them. Heard they can have them a few at a time over a couple days. Yet to see any tough, maybe they are too small. Read they are hard,to see up to a month due to Thier size.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well it's finally official I have cardinal shrimplets! Pctures can't describe, how incredibly small they are. I really though they perished since she didn't have eggs anymore. These are about 3 weeks old I'm guess and are so small I barley noticed them. I counted 3 so far so that means there's more probably in the caves in my Marco rock!!!!!

So exciting I was starting to have doubts they would breed. I'm stoked!!!!!!!

-Chris

I am putting together a 20L for these guys on my shrimp rack, will probably leave all these guys in here for now while they are still breeding. Will move a few juvies over when they have some more. Want to get a bigger floor space for them maybe they will breed alot better that way!

My female is berried again! I'm starting to think she's the only female lol. Of course she is the biggest, maybe she's just the oldest. They are impossible to sex. You can see a saddle if you catch then at night.

-Chris