8.5 G Cardinal Sulawesi

ctaylor3737

Seem to be stable now, yellow cheeks look awesome! Harlequins have colored up, nice. A bit camera shy yet but getting there. They just run when close to,the tank.

I have only lost 3 harlequins 1 during shipment and 2 the  day after. They seem to love the marco rock and hide alot in there. I thought that maybe I lost a few but then I moved the rock and they all came out, I set i up now to where I can see the back of the tank so itll be easier to check on them and make sure they are doing good. I have a good feeling and the ones I have seem really active. Would be nice to be able to have some babies to get a good colony going. I have 5 new cardinal babies this morning so that brings my total up to 30 or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have been MIA for sometime due to family issues. But the good news is that I found yesterday that I have 2 berried yellow cheeks in my tank! and guess what else? I have a berried Harlequin!!! If successfull I will be one of the few in the U.S to have them breeding in a tank. Just gotta be able to get the babies to survive. I did a tiny water change and I am not going to be touching the tank for the next month or so until they hatch. Time will tell if it will be successful or not. I hope to even just get 1-2 to survive and I will be happy.

They are beautiful shrimps. I've had mine for a week now and just observed one of them molt. That was cool! I wish you luck with the babies.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was gazing around the tank today before I left for work and I have a berried Harlequin!!!!!!!! I also have baby cardinals and yellow cheeks!!!! I also have 2 more berried cardinals so finally I have a few females. I think my population is finally going to take off, I may have to start cycling another 20L for these guys.

Do you keep them all in one tank, or have species only tanks?

They are all in the same tank, They all accept the same water parameters. I want to do a larger Sulawesi tank with all the species,

I thought I had Cardinal shrimplets but maybe not, their front arms are not completely white, some stay red in the dark but others turn from light blue to almost black, the one on the back is definitely Cardinal but I think I got other specie mixed with them when I first bought them, not sure though.

The pictures shown with and without flash.

post-184-0-52314700-1411004641_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-01771300-1411004663_thumb.jpg

Yea they will go almost clear. Some are red bodies and some are blue bodied. Mine do,the same thing. I also thought the same thing lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Amazing diary. I really wonder the progress about yellow cheeks and Harlequins? Did you get any shrimplets? I personally have Cardinals which are good at reproduction.

My yellow cheeks are breeding, they actually have more right now than my cardinals. My harlequins are berried but havent seen any babies yet.

How come only one has white arms? Is that a gender diff?

They tend to disappear in the dark. Mine do the same thing, yellow cheeks also seem to do it now.

I also see their shining red colour turns into a very funny blueimsh after the lights go off, that's really interesting. I mean you can easily fool a guy these are different shrimps :)

Yea some are blue bodied and some are red bodied, i thought for sure i had a blue one till i realized what time my lights came on. Sulawesi Harlequins are also clear confirmed that this morning.