RO water 9.5 ph

Lyana

5 dKH with pH 8.2 sounds like I'm right on that there is not much CO2 inside.

Once the pH is stabilised (don't need to wait for a week, just wait till it stops changing), you should add the shrimp salt into the container for a day (continue to aerate it) and after that test the pH. Which Salty Shrimp salt are you using?

It seems to have stabilized at 7.2 it's hard to know because it takes a while for the ph pen to getting a reading, I'm thinking because the ro water doesn't have much to test.

I'm using salty shrimp gh+ still not sure if I need anything to buffer kh because this tank doesn't have active substrate, just sand.

For Rili, you should have bought the GH/KH+ instead. Rili and other type of Neos prefers pH 7 water. However for GH+, there is a tad amount of carbonate inside. Therefore, you could try to mix it with RO and aerate it for a day or two and see the pH. Just to double confirm, you are using inert substrate right?

Yeah substrate is inert, I bought the gh+ because I want to get some crs when my other tank cycles and I thought it could be used for both, but I can buy the other for the neos if need be. Right now about an hour after adding ss the ph is 6.9, I'll see what it is at the end of the day.

Soothing, so you have 0 kh and no problems with ph swing?

I have a couple rocks to in the tank, as far as I know they don't leech much. I'm going to try it and see how they do, if soothings neos do good with just gh+ then mine hopefully will too. I can always adjust things later if need be. I don't want to over think things too much haha, best to try something and stick with it for a while.

Thanks a bunch for all the help guys.