Amano Shrimp Larva

shouu

• 10 months later...

Sure hope so. I feel like have to try a little different way to raise them to adult fresh water shrimp since they are second generation removed from the wild stock.

keeping all the first generations Amano shrimp in one tank. Can't help noticing that they are not like the store bought shrimp. They are some thing like a little smaller. Less active.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats ! 

So you did not feed them anything other than the algae or green water generated from the spotlight ?

Presume you did weekly water changes and just had an air stone running with no filtration ?

Not change water other than add water to adjust the salinity . Mostly algae from the spot light and some time salt water micro aglae to up the salinity if I over corrected the salinity by adding more water than needed. I use foam filter.

Have to lower the salinity for F2 or they will not survive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Do you have any of these available? I too have spawned a batch but only lasted 6 days. After reading your success you should do a breeding write-up for all to read!

I have read first foods should be Yeast!

I do not have any available now and  that may change later. Keeping them to breed a third generation tank raised  Amano shrimp. Will be interesting to see if the third generation can go even lower salinity requirement to morph than the second generation.

Here the new batch F2 larvae at 10 to 14 days old.

And another video clips on five mouth old shrimp.

I used Nannochloropsis ( Japanese chlorella) micro algae to raise them. Can culture in salt and fresh water, feed the salt water culture algae to the larvae and fresh water culture to the newly morph shrimp.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I got a shrimp specie that only reproduces on brackish water like the Amano and been breeding them using the same Technic. They are call Potimirin. looks like Amano but they are from Costa Rica and have red color and blue with red spots. But most of them looks like the one on the picture below. 

Like your project great work I have not been able to succeed without people like you experimenting years back and sharing knowledge about the process. Thank you. 

Potimirin Pic.png

Yes really good algae cleaners, they eat all types of algae's, the variety is unknown the only records of this shrimp is from Brazil but they are different they are Potimirin, Potimirin, Glabra is from the family of the Atya different specie. And still this one I got is totally different from the one on this site below. they have reported two varieties Potimirin, Potimirin and Potimirin Brasiliana.

http://www.planetainvertebrados.com.br/index.asp?pagina=especies_ver&id_categoria=24&id_subcategoria=19&com=1&id=162&local=2

They are longevity shrimp I have several Potimirin that they are 8 years old. and still alive and reproducing larva. I seen this shrimp for sale as Amano in the states they are available on the rivers that meet the coast in Florida.

What Salinity do you use to start the Larva do you start at 1.025 SG and then lower to SG 1.020 and start lowering the salinity as they mature? I have to do this for this specie 3 level salinity's. I see you are trying right know with SG 1.017. Another question what do you feed them, besides the algae built up on the glass from the light.

I only get 25 % survival rate. I started a batch of around 200 larva's and will end with only 30 or less top survival. Need to get the salinity's levels right need to perfection the technique still working on this I see you have thousands now wow. I have try adding the larva at SG 1.025 for the entire cycle and fail and add to adjust the salinity to three level in a period of 10 to 15 days laps to get more survival. Any tips will be appreciated.

The methods that I used to find out the good salinity on the larvae batch I working with is by flicking a spotlight in front of the tank and and see how first they swims to the light and the way they dance and act then ajust the salinity level accordingly start form 34ppt to lower it slowly.

First generation tank raised on 30 to 34 ppt.

second generation tank raised on 22 to 24 ppt.

For third generation, my guess I will like to lower the salinity to 13 to 15 ppt, whether it will get to that remain to be seem. At least I thought it can get to that salinity level.

The second generation tank raised now maturing in a few months, so Hopefully I have success in raising a third generation tank raised Amano Shrimp.

Well, working on a project to induced a rapid evolutionary change to the Amano Shrimp. Something like HIREC ( Human-Induced Rapid Evolutionary Change). Whether the subsequent generation can keeps lower salinity to survive and morph into shrimplets remains to be seem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dropped a couple of berries wild caught Amano Shrimp in the tank with second generation berries Amano shrimp. The tank raised shrimp adapted to the aquarium setting and half theirs size. They will feel at home in a nano desk top planted aquarium.😋

Last test on F2 larvae in freshwater lasted a week. The test on F3 larvae now in a week and swimming beautifully. I think they can live on in freash water for another week. They are certainly adapting and  inching toward freshwater rearing larvae.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like I thought they can survive another week,  here the lone surviving larvae on it days 14 swimming video. All that end the next day. That’s how I gauge the salinity level for third generation larvae and now raising some F3 larvae at 10 PPT and doing alright so far.