SL-Aqua 10G Shrimp Tank

mayphly

36539f4d46431c777dd4b105cd67e1f7.jpgtoday's pic is on the bottom right. You can see bacteria forming on the glass visibility is close to zero trying to see through the tank. The top pic was from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does look like something you are growing for a zombie potluck party!  I just sent away for a 22 g Mr. Aqua tank and ordered the SL Aqua products from Eric to start this tank with.  Looking forward to the gooby looking show.

Lol!!!! I'd be more than happy to help you out when your ready. By then I should have some new types of shrimp available.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if a tank started with MK products is supposed to look the same as the SL Aqua tank?

I was wondering if a tank that is cycled with MK products will also have that same bacteria "bloom" look as the SL Aqua tank does.

Does anyone know if a tank started with MK products is supposed to look the same as the SL Aqua tank?

I don't think so.

I don't believe that a MK Breed tank will have the fuzzy bacteria grow all over the substrate and it will have a tonne of green algae due to the 24/7 light period. 

Someone showed me a pic of their MK tank and asked me if it their tank looked normal. I don't use MK products to cycle. So, I thought I'd ask here. I guess it's safe to say that their tank is not normal. It looks more like fungus and algae growing in their tank. Thanks!

I am now 20 days into the SLA easy cycle method. I can notice the water getting clearer. IMO it looks like it did after the first day. In 10 more days I'll start testing water parameters. In the meantime ..... I will try to keep calm and have patience. :jig:

post-89-0-03747900-1430265952_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 32 days and my ammonia level is still at 4.0ppm. I changed out half the water on day 30 with RO and added minerals to bump up my GH to 5. I added a bunch of floating plants yesterday to help speed things up a bit.

Added 50ml of Purify which was recommended by SL. This should help consume the ammonia within the next few days.

I'm running it 8 hrs with just some floaters in there. I have my led lights raised off the tank a few inches to prevent unwanted algae growth. I will test ammonia levels again tomorrow.

Just a quick update. Tank still has about 3.0ppm ammonia. The roots of the floaters are becoming smaller and turning a bit mushy. I'm hoping they are just acclimating to the tank's parameters. patience, patience, patience.....

I am curious as to why it is taking so long. I started my two shrimp tanks on April 14, and for the first time I tested my water parameters yesterday, 0.0 ammonia, 0.0 nitrite, and in 1 of the 2 aquariums 10-20ppm of Nitrate. By the looks of things you have to have loads of Beneficial Bacteria. More water changes? 

I did a 25% water change a couple days ago to help speed things along and added a ton of floaters. I've been messaging Eric back and forth keeping him posted with what's going on and he's just as baffled as myself. 4.0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrate is a bit strange. How long did it take for your tank to cycle DET?

I set both of my aquariums up on April 14, I did not track any water parameters until yesterday. When I tested I had 0.0 Ammonia, 0.0 Nitrites, and between 10-20ppm Nitrate in 1 of the 2 aquariums. I will be adding shrimp next week.

What's your pH and temperature? Is there anything oxygenating the water?

I'm glad you asked. I just checked my PH and it's at 6.0. I think that's what's slowing down my cycle. Because of my low PH I think my tank is just going to take longer to complete it's cycle. I think if my PH were closer to 6.8 it would cycle faster. I will try this cycling method again from the beginning with a higher PH down the road to see if that makes a difference. I have another SLA tank curently cycling which I just added some buffer to and kicked the PH up to 6.8. Most all my other tanks I use RO have taken around 2 months to cycle. Recently when I was setting up a tank using all Shrimp Daddy products to cycle I also had to use a buffer to bump up the PH. That cycle took about 6 weeks to complete. I'm using a double sponge filter. My TDS is @ 130 and GH 5 Temps 85. I'm running my lights 8 hours a day.

I set both of my aquariums up on April 14, I did not track any water parameters until yesterday. When I tested I had 0.0 Ammonia, 0.0 Nitrites, and between 10-20ppm Nitrate in 1 of the 2 aquariums. I will be adding shrimp next week.

DET, can you tell me what your PH is at?