SL-Aqua 10G Shrimp Tank

mayphly

I used baking soda to bump my pH when cycling my controsoil (based on the advice of others), keeping the pH between 6.8 and 7.1 (pinpoint).  I also kept temps at around 82F and used Dr. Tim's to maintain ammonia levels between 1-2 ppm.  Since I'm new to the hobby, I did went overkill on my monitoring of water parameters, but I feel like the constant eye I kept on things helped maintain optimal levels and shortened my time to cycle completion.  Nitrite and nitrate showed up in a big way at the 12-13 day mark and the cycle was completed somewhere in the 21-23 day range.  When nitrite spiked I did daily 50% water changes.  I mulm bombed once, and used biodigest, BT-9, and stability (at water changes).  

Which test do you use to test for ammonium? Dr Tims is not ammonia so the API kit can't test for it correctly.

Hmmmmm.......you bring up an interesting point. Now that I read the bottle it's labeled Ammonium Chloride Solution - USE: to add ammonia to the aquarium during a fishless cycling process.

I used API to test what I understood to be ammonia levels. To feed ammonia/ammonium? I used the recommended dosing on the bottle - 1 drop per gallon to achieve 2 ppm.

My background is in chemistry (long ago) so I'm ~familiar with NH4, NH3, NH4Cl, but can't find good info on why Dr Tims is NH4Cl vs ammonia if that is what's preferred.

Help me understand more, please.

I set both of my aquariums up on April 14, I did not track any water parameters until yesterday. When I tested I had 0.0 Ammonia, 0.0 Nitrites, and between 10-20ppm Nitrate in 1 of the 2 aquariums. I will be adding shrimp next week.

That's pretty interesting, I setup my tank April 16th and started cycling, I used magic powder but not Purify. My tank had like 5 plants with some floaters. My water parameters were stable at around 4 weeks testing 0 -0 -5 ppm. I did more frequent water changes though, about twice a week around 25%. Ph seemed to hove around 6.4 the whole cycling process, I cycled using tap water the whole time and did a larger WC with remineralized RO. I added shrimp on 5/10 and they've been doing well.

DET, can you tell me what your PH is at?

When I checked the PH yesterday it was 6.2-6.4. I can't see how a lower PH would prohibit or slow down the cycling process.

When I checked the PH yesterday it was 6.2-6.4. I can't see how a lower PH would prohibit or slow down the cycling process.

there are a ton of good bugs in the tank already. The only other thing I can think is that my ammonia test kit is no good.. But I doubt it. The expiration date is 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty interesting, I setup my tank April 16th and started cycling, I used magic powder but not Purify. My tank had like 5 plants with some floaters. My water parameters were stable at around 4 weeks testing 0 -0 -5 ppm. I did more frequent water changes though, about twice a week around 25%. Ph seemed to hove around 6.4 the whole cycling process, I cycled using tap water the whole time and did a larger WC with remineralized RO. I added shrimp on 5/10 and they've been doing well.

This is my standard. Yes, I could of checked every week, my cycle could of already been completed sooner, and I could of added shrimp sooner. But I never am in a rush when adding shrimp, especially when adding my higher end shrimp. I usually let my tanks cycle for up to 4 weeks, before ever checking anything. I do perform water changes over the course, but that's about it.

there are a ton of good bugs in the tank already. The only other thing I can think is that my ammonia test kit is no good.. But I doubt it. The expiration date is 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could tell over your course of photos you probably have more critters than I. I think more water changes. Over my course of 4 weeks, I usually perform close to 6 water changes, (2) 33% first week, (2) 20-25% second week, (1) 20-25% third and fourth weeks. Then I will be performing about a 50% water change prior to adding shrimp next week.

Purely a guess, but you had a TON of bacteria, so I can't imagine you having much ammonia if any at all.

I could tell over your course of photos you probably have more critters than I. I think more water changes. Over my course of 4 weeks, I usually perform close to 6 water changes, (2) 33% first week, (2) 20-25% second week, (1) 20-25% third and fourth weeks. Then I will be performing about a 50% water change prior to adding shrimp next week.

Purely a guess, but you had a TON of bacteria, so I can't imagine you having much ammonia if any at all.

Usually when cycling with amazonia I also perform several water changes throughout the cycle period. This thread was just me attempting to cycle a tank folowing the guidelines layed out by SL-Aqua for a quick cycle. It only called for 1 water change after 30 days. This method did not work out as I had hoped for. However, I will be trying it again with a higher PH in mind. I have since performed a 25% water change.

Did your tank form that "bacterial bloom" on the substrate without using Purify?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Andy, what ever happened to this experiment? Did you ever solve the ammonia problem?

Andy, what ever happened to this experiment? Did you ever solve the ammonia problem?

I know it's been close to 3 months and my ammonia is still around .50ppm. This is definitely the longest cycling tank I've ever had. I have 3 other SL tanks that I set up a couple of weeks ago also with Amazonia and they are already at 1.0ppm. These 3 tanks I'm cycling with regular tap water and have performed 2 100% water changes in the beginning along with several smaller water changes and they're doing fine. However, these 3 new SL tanks did not bloom like the original tank did. Something with RO water, Purify and Magic Powder combo gave it that nice bacterial bloom. These new set ups only have small patches of bloom on the substrate here and there.

By the time the original tank is done there will be a feast awaiting some very lucky shrimps.

Thank you for the update! Very strange. I always use RODI water to cycle. Glad to hear all others are doing well.

I just finished a 1month cycle following the SL instructions exactly.  I wanted to raise the PH during cycling but decided best to follow the instructions exactly.

I added a ton of flame moss the last 2 weeks. i think this helped suck up any ammonia or nitrates.

@ 29days I did a 50% water change and on day 30 tested the water parameters.... 0 ammonia/nitrate/nitrite.  ph was 5.8.

added blue wizard to get the GH to 5 and will be adding shrimp shortly (joe's aqua july 4th sale)

I am curious to try SL-Aqua's cycling approach. I am trying their foods out right now. 

So tempting to buy all of his Pintos, but I think I will be more satisfied once I breed my own line.

I just finished a 1month cycle following the SL instructions exactly. I wanted to raise the PH during cycling but decided best to follow the instructions exactly.

I added a ton of flame moss the last 2 weeks. i think this helped suck up any ammonia or nitrates.

@ 29days I did a 50% water change and on day 30 tested the water parameters.... 0 ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. ph was 5.8.

added blue wizard to get the GH to 5 and will be adding shrimp shortly (joe's aqua july 4th sale)

I'm glad it worked out for you. I don't know why it didn't work out for me? I know we talked about. One other person contacted me with the same results that I'm having. But it's all good. I have plenty more tanks to set up and will try this method per instructions again.

It took me two months before I got any ammonia reading and it finally cycled by the third month.. It was as soon as I stopped dosing Purify was when things finally decided to get together. However, I did not use magic powder and instead used bacter ae to help with my bacteria growth. I didn't get any bacteria bloom but did get a nice thick coat of biofilm on my manzanita, almond leaves and chola wood.

I forgot to mention that I also used 4-5 fish to cycle. During the cycling period for the first two months all the fish were very healthy and even gave birth to probably 30+ Frys and at that point there was no ammonia reading until the end of the second month when it started to have an ammonia spike.

Happy to say the tank is finaly at 0ppm ammonia today. Yesterday I performed a 50% water change. I'm pretty convinced due to the lack of water changes using Amazonia along with RO is the reason it took so long. Now for the shrimp! :)