My experience with Fish Bendazole

1g = 1,000mg

0.1g = 100mg

.01g = 10mg

I always use .01g of the 22.2% (222 mg/g) fenbendazole and have never had a death result from  dosing. Unfortunately I thnk you dosed 10x's the recommended amount. I pour the packet out and chop it up super fine and divide it in to 10 equal parts. This is the only way I know I won't mess up. Sorry about your losses.

I assume you were using 1 gram pack of 22% fenbendazole, so you divided it into 10 parts. each part is 0.1 gram = 100mg, not .01g.

I treated a tank three months ago with canine dewormer for planaria.  Even after a 90% water change, substrate vacuuming, and carbon treatment I continue to be unable to keep nerite snails active.

Twice now, from two different suppliers, once placed in the tank they move around but in 24-48 hours they stop.  They all react to stimuli but just remain in a state of suspended animation.  They have been relocated to another holding tank and in 10 days they are still alive but not moving.

A yellow rabbit snail, and some ramshorns that hitchhiked on moss, are thriving.  

I can only assume that the nerites are being neurologically damaged from the dewormer.

Has anyone had residual affects like these?

I read this in the link I posted to Amazon for fishben, and thought it was interesting: "Next method, the better of the two but you will need a syringe. I did a 25% water change before using this method. Take 100ml of aquarium water, dump in one full packet and stir. 1ml per 10 gallon, repeat every 12hrs till Hydra gone. This way you get more of a dissolved solution. One dose seemed to do it. In my tank I had various kinds of shrimp and babies, rabbit, mystery, mts, and nerite snails, dwarf crayfish, guppy, various live plants. All did well. If they return I still have my solution ready."

From the assumption we have made thus far, 22mg pure fishben for 10 gallon for planaria, 11 mg for hydra.

100mg panacur c for planaria, 50mg for hydra.

Is this correct?

I think we should make this info a sticky so no other accidents happen.  What does everyone else think?

With the dog dewormer fenbendazole, the standard dosage for hydra has been 0.1 gms of powder by weight.  This gives a dosage of 22mg of the actual med.  If you dosed 100 mg and 150 mg of actual med, then that is way overdosing.  Fish may be able to handle this much of the medication, but shrimp can't.

I treated a tank three months ago with canine dewormer for planaria.  Even after a 90% water change, substrate vacuuming, and carbon treatment I continue to be unable to keep nerite snails active.

Twice now, from two different suppliers, once placed in the tank they move around but in 24-48 hours they stop.  They all react to stimuli but just remain in a state of suspended animation.  They have been relocated to another holding tank and in 10 days they are still alive but not moving.

A yellow rabbit snail, and some ramshorns that hitchhiked on moss, are thriving.  

I can only assume that the nerites are being neurologically damaged from the dewormer.

Has anyone had residual affects like these?

You can't put into the tank directly, no way to clean it after treatment.

I put it in tea bag and place tea bag in filter. remove it after couple days.

I don't even do water change after wards.

No death, and keep breeding like rabbits.

The pack said it treated 25 gallons and I used it to treat 30

I guess it refers to fish not shrimp.

• 4 weeks later...

I read this in the link I posted to Amazon for fishben, and thought it was interesting: "Next method, the better of the two but you will need a syringe. I did a 25% water change before using this method. Take 100ml of aquarium water, dump in one full packet and stir. 1ml per 10 gallon, repeat every 12hrs till Hydra gone. This way you get more of a dissolved solution. One dose seemed to do it. In my tank I had various kinds of shrimp and babies, rabbit, mystery, mts, and nerite snails, dwarf crayfish, guppy, various live plants. All did well. If they return I still have my solution ready."

I tried this out yesterday one dose and the hydra are gone

• 2 years later...