Cherry shrimp woes

sarah

OK, and I'll leave the heater off till tomorrow. Then I'll try to get the setting right. Room temp is low to mid 70s.

With that kind of room temp you don't need a heater. Just remove it.

have a gneiss day

With that kind of room temp you don't need a heater. Just remove it.

have a gneiss day

I would, but I think the room it is in (my office) may fluctuate quite a bit. I'd like to have it in there just for backup if it gets too cold. How much fluctuation can cherries take?

Also... I know I'll probably have to just wait and see, but do you guys think they will survive this? They seem totally fine as of now. Temp is 76.

I would, but I think the room it is in (my office) may fluctuate quite a bit. I'd like to have it in there just for backup if it gets too cold. How much fluctuation can cherries take?

Also... I know I'll probably have to just wait and see, but do you guys think they will survive this? They seem totally fine as of now. Temp is 76.

I used to keep RCS in my office. They were in a 20 gallon tank. My office temp fluctuated from 65 to 78 through the year with no issues. It has been my experience they are fine from 60 to about 75 degrees. Others may have more insight. Remeber it takes a lot longer for water temperature to change vs air temperature.

have a gneiss day

Everyone is still alive - looking great, actually.

I've never been lucky enough to see this before, but there are quite a few males swimming around all over who seem to be looking for someone... so I am hoping I'll find a new berried female soon :)

Temp is at 74 right now, so I will keep the heater unplugged as Meta recommended.

I have to admit - I am loving having these guys on my desk, but it is a huge distraction!

Just thought I'd post an update - everyone survived! Wow, these guys are tough :)

And last week's eggs must have hatched, because there are loads of impossibly tiny babies all over the place. I thought I'd seen tiny RCS babies before in this tank, but these are 1/3 the size of the smallest ones I've seen. So exciting! I really hope they all survive.

So now I have a feeding question...

In the tank right now, I have: 2 guava leaves, 1 giant IAL, 3 alder cones, a tantora mineral stone, tons of java moss, lots of dwarf sagittaria, a moss ball, elodea, and a couple java ferns. I have been adding bacter AE 1-2x per week, and also alternating between HAN baby food and the BorneoWild bebi food 1-2x/week. Also feeding the adults 1x/week either a bit of snowflake or another HAN food. They did not like the Shrimp King mineral, but the snails devoured it.

I would say their tank right now is about 40% tapwater and 60% DI remineralized with SS GH/KH+. Eventually it will be only remin DI. TDS is ~280. How often would you guys recommend water changes? I was doing 20% every week or two before the move. I don't want to accidentally remove any babies now that I am aware of how incredibly tiny the youngest ones actually are!

More good news/bad news:

Good - I found another berried female. She is much smaller than the first female.

post-1734-0-77651000-1431013129_thumb.jp post-1734-0-94931200-1431013140_thumb.jp

BAD - I think I have a female with the dreaded green "fungus". From a distance, I thought it was eggs... but they're not. Is there any chance this is just leftover egg casings?? I have no extra tank setup to do a quarantine, and I don't have the heart to cull :(

post-1734-0-56877100-1431013152_thumb.jp post-1734-0-37528900-1431013349_thumb.jp

I am pretty sure I saw one with this months ago before I knew what it was, and leaving it in there didn't seem to decimate the colony or anything. Am I just playing with fire?

OK.... will you talk me through it?

I can set up a small plastic "critter keeper" with a sponge filter (necessary?), some moss, and cover it with dark paper. What about IAL, guava leaves, or alder cones? Gravel? Does the filter need to be cycled already, or can I just throw in a new one? Medications?

Do I feed during the course of treatment?

I would remove it, do you have a breeder box? If not they're pretty cheap. Just get the ones that don't allow water in or out. I used one while I treated my shrimp for the fungus (though he didn't have that much) and he survived and is now back withe others.

I would remove it, do you have a breeder box? If not they're pretty cheap. Just get the ones that don't allow water in or out. I used one while I treated my shrimp for the fungus (though he didn't have that much) and he survived and is now back withe others.

I don't - does that stay in the tank?

Can I just move her out to a different container, like these? http://www.amazon.com/Kritter-Keeper-Large-Rectangle-Colors/dp/B0002APZOO

The goal is to block all light, right?

Yeah, the breeder box stays inside. If you are doing the dark treatment then the critter box you linked would probably be a better choice. I did the drip treatment.

You can read though this post as well.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3386-the-green-fungus/

• 2 years later...
On 12/4/2015 at 8:01 PM, costumekevin said:

I treated a tank three months ago with canine dewormer for planaria.  Even after a 90% water change, substrate vacuuming, and carbon treatment I continue to be unable to keep nerite snails active.

Twice now, from two different suppliers, once placed in the tank they move around but in 24-48 hours they stop.  They all react to stimuli but just remain in a state of suspended animation.  They have been relocated to another holding tank and in 10 days they are still alive but not moving.

A yellow rabbit snail, and some ramshorns that hitchhiked on moss, are thriving.  

I can only assume that the nerites are being neurologically damaged from the dewormer.

Has anyone had residual affects like these?