Lowkeys absorption board?

Soothing Shrimp

• 1 year later...

I think it's zeolite pressed into a shape of a board.

Info from http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/filters/a/Using-Zeolite-In-Aquariums.htm

What Zeolite Does & Doesn't Do
Zeolite formulated for freshwater aquarium use will readily absorb ammonia, making it a useful media when dealing with ammonia spikes or potential spikes. It is important to know that zeolite does not remove every undesirable toxin in your tank, nor does it work forever. In fact, it becomes saturated fairly quickly, at which point it no longer provides any benefit. Generally within a month or less it is exhausted and should be replaced or recharged. In cases of extremely high ammonia levels, the zeolite may become exhausted in two weeks or less. When ammonia levels are elevated, always test frequently, replacing the zeolite as needed to until the desired results are achieved. Once the ammonia has been eliminated, remove the zeolite.

-and-

Recharge or Replace Zeolite?
Zeolite used in freshwater aquariums can be recharged by soaking it to a 5% salt solution, which causes it to release the ammonia it has absorbed. After soaking for 24 hours, spread it on a cookie tray and allow it to dry in the sun for a day or two. A faster alternative is to bake it in an oven for a half hour to an hour at 350 degrees to dry it out. The advantage of sun drying is that the zeolite may be left in it's orginal bag, which often is not safe to subject to high temperatures. Obviously given the amount of time the recharging process takes, many do not feel the effort is worth it for small quantities of zeolite.

As previously stated, zeolite must be removed once it is exhausted. If the ammonia is gone or nearly gone, it is not necessary to replace the zeolite in the filter. Instead use standard media. If zeolite is recharged, it should be discarded after two to three months of use, and replaced with new zeolite.

It's kind of off topic but I have to ask a question about this board.

How long (if at all) will it work in a 20g planted goldfish tank (2 about 1yo fish are in there, has a sponge filter and an internal filter). I'll need to leave my fish/shrimp for about 6 weeks in summer in my husband's care. I hope he will clean the goldfish tank at least once. So, will this board work during that time just like prevention of ammomia spike?

Should be good for you under regular conditions.  Your filters are removing most of everything already.  Keep in mind for the board, ammonia (-ium) will also  include how much food is given, so you'll have to show him how much is used under your regular care.

I don't see any harm in extra protection though.  1 board is recommended for 15-20g

It's kind of off topic but I have to ask a question about this board.

How long (if at all) will it work in a 20g planted goldfish tank (2 about 1yo fish are in there, has a sponge filter and an internal filter). I'll need to leave my fish/shrimp for about 6 weeks in summer in my husband's care. I hope he will clean the goldfish tank at least once. So, will this board work during that time just like prevention of ammomia spike?

Its hard to answer. It all depends if your husband over feeds the tank and causes a load your filter cant handle? If you only have goldfish I wouldnt worry about ammonia spikes, they handle going through a full cycle, they should be fine. As long as he doesnt do something that will overwhelm or change the biological part of your filtration then you shouldn't be worried. I would be more concerned about nitrate build up with the shrimp tanks if your husband isnt going to do water changes with the shrimps. If it was me, I would make sure to have good leaf litter and have your husband put a little bit of graze once a week and whatever food your using.  Also know how much evaporation occurs and have enough RO water to top off.

Feeding less is much better than feeding too much. Fish and shrimp can adjust their metabolic rate to whatever environment they are in.

#1 killer of fish when on vacation is a friend that is taking care of the fish and thinks they are not getting enough food. You get home and the friends says "but they look so hungry when I approach the tank"

Thank you, Soothing Shrimp and Vpier!

I see what you are saying about overfeeding but I don't think my DH will overfeed. He work a lot and leave home very early and come back very late in evening. So I'm lucky if the fish will get food once a day (at least they can snack on some plants in the tank).

and I was thinking about leaves in tanks for shrimp and some snowflakes. All of my tanks are planted, so shrimp will find something to eat there too I hope. I use Distilled water and will leave it to DH for tops off.

So it looks like I need a couple of the boards: one for the goldfish tank and another one to divide and use in shrimp tanks just in case.

(even though I love my shrimp they're not so important to me as our goldfish. The goldfish are my DD's (but I take care of them as she is only 6, soon to be 7yo) and she will be very sad and cry a lot if something happens to them)

Thank you, Soothing Shrimp and Vpier!

I see what you are saying about overfeeding but I don't think my DH will overfeed. He work a lot and leave home very early and come back very late in evening. So I'm lucky if the fish will get food once a day (at least they can snack on some plants in the tank).

and I was thinking about leaves in tanks for shrimp and some snowflakes. All of my tanks are planted, so shrimp will find something to eat there too I hope. I use Distilled water and will leave it to DH for tops off.

So it looks like I need a couple of the boards: one for the goldfish tank and another one to divide and use in shrimp tanks just in case.

(even though I love my shrimp they're not so important to me as our goldfish. The goldfish are my DD's (but I take care of them as she is only 6, soon to be 7yo) and she will be very sad and cry a lot if something happens to them)

A light once a day feeding would be perfect for your fish. They wont starve and do just fine  The shrimp eat biofilm and will be fine with a little bit of food once a week. You will be amazed how they can pick a leaf clean.

You can also do a dry run for a couple of weeks so you get an idea what will happen. I use the pill boxes marked with the days of the week and fill whatever days I want my fish  fed so the inexperienced person wont make a mistake and over feed. You can get them fairly cheap at walmart. I know getting six or more would be an overkill but just one of your aura blue tigers would be worth more.

Yes, I highly recommend pre portioning food, and those pill organizers are perfect.

A tool I found helpful for shrimp feeding is a silly little measuring spoon set with measurements such as a pinch, a bit, a smidgeon, etc. They work beautifully for measuring powdered foods into a cup of tank water for feeding and allow me to track how much they are getting.