Söchting Oxydator Timeline

Hey Shrimpspot!

So I have been debating for quite sometime on purchasing a number of sochting oxydators but I need feedback. For those of you that have used this product, did it meet or exceed your expectations? Did you notice any sort of influence on your shrimp? Lastly, the main question on my mind was how long do they last before replacement solution or catalysts?

Thank you, I look forward to your responses.

After learning more stuff, I'd have to say sochting oxydator is quite useless.

I don't see any effects on shrimp for the past few months of using it.

Since most of the o2/co2 exchange is done by my filter output, I'm not sure if it's providing much o2 at all.

I don't think much O2 from the sochting oxydator actually dissolves into the water. I see most of it just fly up when filters are off so it's pretty much doing nothing?

while you may be seeing a few micro bubbles (often related to bubbles leaving the ceramic when you put it in the water) most of the O2 is dissolved directly into the water.  I have more then a few clients who've said they've seen huge jump in the survival of babies thanks to them.

As we all know oxygen in the water column is hugely important to new born shrimp who are pretty stationary the first weeks.

After learning more stuff, I'd have to say sochting oxydator is quite useless.

I don't see any effects on shrimp for the past few months of using it.

Since most of the o2/co2 exchange is done by my filter output, I'm not sure if it's providing much o2 at all.

I don't think much O2 from the sochting oxydator actually dissolves into the water. I see most of it just fly up when filters are off so it's pretty much doing nothing?

I would also add that when you add a CO2 diffuser you see bubbles too and it still increases your CO2 rates.  I haven't used mine enough to be able to comment on them yet.  Since I knew I was going to be moving I never really set them up in many tanks. 

while you may be seeing a few micro bubbles (often related to bubbles leaving the ceramic when you put it in the water) most of the O2 is dissolved directly into the water.  I have more then a few clients who've said they've seen huge jump in the survival of babies thanks to them.

As we all know oxygen in the water column is hugely important to new born shrimp who are pretty stationary the first weeks.

I will test that out.

I have a few BB that should release in about 2 weeks. :)

Thank you all for your comments. I run all canister filters on my shrimp tanks with the use of the spray bar pointed 45 degrees to the surface to cause agitation. I have no problems that I am aware of (knock on wood), but I wanted to test adding a sponge filter or oxydator to increase O2 levels. I wanted to see if I would see any increase in shrimp activity and/or breeding. If I do not, then the water agitation I have created is sufficient. If I see a drastic increase, I may incorporate one of the above in all of my tanks.

Anyone already do this and/or have tested this idea?

Thank you all for your comments. I run all canister filters on my shrimp tanks with the use of the spray bar pointed 45 degrees to the surface to cause agitation. I have no problems that I am aware of (knock on wood), but I wanted to test adding a sponge filter or oxydator to increase O2 levels. I wanted to see if I would see any increase in shrimp activity and/or breeding. If I do not, then the water agitation I have created is sufficient. If I see a drastic increase, I may incorporate one of the above in all of my tanks.

Anyone already do this and/or have tested this idea?

Daryl.   Look up Mark Bromley on FB and he will share his results with you.  He's been using them for sometime with great success.