Any Benifits of Scuds in a Shrimp Tank?

mayphly

I introduced some new Taiwan Painted Fire Reds in to my current TPFR tank and noticed a few scuds that came with them. I threw the scuds in with the shrimp. I don't see any harm in having them besides multiplying fast. Any benifits on having them?

I can't find any evidence of scuds ever eating or attacking shrimp in a tank. I'm not saying it's not possible. Just haven't seen any reports of it happening.  I thought scuds were mostly herbivores and scavengers. I guess I'll find out since I already put them in there.

I've only heard nightmares about accidental scud infestation. :( Biggest thing I've heard is that there is no way to get rid of them short of breaking down the tank. Shrimp don't eat them, and since they may compete with or even hurt the shrimp, they are definitely something I'm paranoid about and want to keep out of my tank at all costs.

According to artbystef, they'll also eat each other.  Don't know the answer about eating baby shrimp.  This is one of those things where I've heard it enough times, but haven't found if it is a myth or fact.

My suspicion is that they'll out compete shrimp, which leads to deaths, but I have no proof.

According to artbystef, they'll also eat each other. Don't know the answer about eating baby shrimp. This is one of those things where I've heard it enough times, but haven't found if it is a myth or fact.

My suspicion is that they'll out compete shrimp, which leads to deaths, but I have no proof.

I had them once and they are very,fast. Love algae and will clean the tank. That was with fish though who kept them under control. They disappeared once my discus came. I wouldn't want them with shrimp. Eat to fast and imagine they would eat fry

-Chris

• 2 months later...

Our indigenous scud grow only to about 2mm if my field guide is talking the truth and is extremely endangered. Will they still pose a threat even at that size?   

I had scuds in my 75 gallon planted tank with fire red shrimp.  I never actually saw them attacking/eating shrimp or anything like that.  But I read up on them quite a bit, and found that the majority of shrimp keepers feel that they are a detriment to a shrimp tank.  Just my two cents.

I had scuds in my 75 gallon planted tank with fire red shrimp. I never actually saw them attacking/eating shrimp or anything like that. But I read up on them quite a bit, and found that the majority of shrimp keepers feel that they are a detriment to a shrimp tank. Just my two cents.

That's the same concensus I have read as well. However I was looking into them yesterday actually as I saw a few feeding on the snowflake food. Based as what I was reading they have the same diet as normal shrimp.

I have scuds in all my shrimp tanks. I guess they came in the java fern and/or driftwood but I have never seen them bother adult shrimp nor babies for that matter (not that I have noticed)

I siphon out the one's I see when doing water changes and feed them to my sunfish but I don't worry about them one way or another .

They are prolific breeders .

scuds

I introduced some new Taiwan Painted Fire Reds in to my current TPFR tank and noticed a few scuds that came with them. I threw the scuds in with the shrimp. I don't see any harm in having them besides multiplying fast. Any benifits on having them?

Never had freshwater scuds but the ones I had for saltwater tank are about 1/4'', they will eat critters smaller than their body size. slatwater scuds are nightmare for Berghia Nudibranch breeders because they eat their eggs.