Adding weekend auctions???

I want to help out this forum because I really believe this is a great place for shrimpers.  I'm a huge believer in win-win situations, so here's what I would like to do:

I'd like to donate 10 BV for this cause.  Shipping will be my gift, and I can mail this Sat. 

This is ~$50 total value (shrimp + shipping) for $35 auction app money to Oblong.

Is this okay with you, Oblong?

Yes totally fine with me, thank you for the very generous offer Soothing!

Should I create a separate forum for the auctions? 

Yes totally fine with me, thank you for the very generous offer Soothing!

Should I create a separate forum for the auctions? 

Awesome.  I'd really like this forum to succeed. :)

I put the offer in the Market section.

As for new forum, I think the idea was to build traffic to this site via an auction section. but everyone else should chime in, too.   I'm not sure how the app is supposed to work. :)

And I take no offense, lol. Were all trying to come up with good ways to help the forum.

Half the ideas I come up with are pure garbage, but I put them out there because maybe someone will see them and get an idea from it lol

I,think they would do great with this. We could do an auction like we do for the selling ad. Just have a minimum price to start. Bid increments and have a time to close. Till something more established goes. Could pick your own starting bid to set a starting price.

-Chris

I like the idea of an area to go where there is currently multiple auctions all going on at once, but don't want them all running all month. Would prefer 10 going for the first week of every month rather than just 2-3 per week randomly

I like the idea of an area to go where there is currently multiple auctions all going on at once, but don't want them all running all month. Would prefer 10 going for the first week of every month rather than just 2-3 per week randomly

Totally agree.  Too few would look very bad, like a bunch of topics without anything in them.

Good idea guys. Yeah too many topics with few auctions doesn't look good. Were a shrimp and invertebrate forum we should have one auction topic. Inverts. And that covers a broad range of inverts for every category as well. As for the week. It should be either the beginning or end of every month. Never the middle because every one is broke including myself in the middle of the month. At least the beginning and end give people a chance to grab something they want for cheap.

I do have one suggestion though. There should be two sub categories. Unless stated in the auction itself, for local pick up, or shipping with the charge of shipping added to the item cost. This would include, aquariums, canister filters, lighting, substrates, snails and inverts potentially illegal across state borders (know your local regulations, because I'm still learning myne), anything large, or if the auctionee doesn't want to ship because they never have given the option of local only. I'm sure everyone here has shipped or had received shipped items before. So were all fairly familiar with this.

I agree on the local vs shipped, but also think that we shouldn't have the topic of inverts. While that is the focus of the forum, I think that would be a limiting factor by making some people think the only things for sale will have to do with shrimp

Perhaps we should do as we have so far with this forum?

Have one lump area for auctions and as the auctions build it will become obvious of what should trend to needing to be separated to different areas, and then divide from there?

I love the idea of the first week of every month. :)

I agree. First week of every month

Was thinking about a way of doing a "max" bid...

Example:

Seller: Soothing Shrimp

Item: 1 dead shrimp ;)

I put in my bid on the thread of $10, but then send a PM to Soothing saying Max Bid of $15

Then if Subtle snipes me at the last second with a bid of $11 and a PM saying $12 Max... I am awarded the item at $13... 

^Or is that too complicated lol

lol true

Lets see what the "add-on" is capable of first, I'd think we play with it for the month of may, work out a set of rules/guidelines and then have the first auction in June... will also give us time to get the word out about it