Questions on Salty Shrimp GH+

I am fairly new to shrimp and hope to get some advise.

When I add one spoon (the spoon came witht the can) GH+ to 5 gallon RO, the GH is 6-7 and TDS is 100

Should the TDS be around 150 instead of 100?

My problem is I have low TDS when GH is at the proper level.

If I add more GH+ to raise TDS, the GH will be too high

Any one has the same issue/problem?

I can use mosura TDS up to raise TDS without changing GH but I think I shouldn't have to do that.

I was told by other shrimp fans that when they add 1 spoon to 5 gallon, GH is 6 and TDS is 150

I use 2 different TDS pen to test and the reading is very close.

Any comment appreciated!

This is pretty much what I have observed as well.  I don't use the included spoon, I use a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon instead since I generally mix up 20-25 gallons at a time.  For me, I get a GH of 5.  To raise my TDS, I do exactly what you were suggesting - Mosura TDS Up.  I add in the little amount that I need to raise my TDS up to the desired level, and off I go.  I have an old thread over on TPT where I did some measurements and posted my findings.  From what I recall, folks saw similar readings to mine, but it seemed to differ on how fresh the batch of SS was, how well it was stirred in the container, etc.  I think what you see printed by them on the label is a very good guideline, but I don't think that the values are down to an exact science, but rather an approximation within tolerances.  I'm not saying that is bad, as I like their products and have been quite happy with them.  I just think the expectation should probably be more around approximation than exact values.  Our TDS meters can also be in need of calibration, etc, so there are plenty of variables in the picture.

Just ignore TDS, only GH matters.

Somebody told me to ignor TDS too.

But I do like to know why when I add the same amount of SS GH+ to the same amount of RO would yield different results than other people

My goal is a GH 3-4 tank. If I use less SS GH+ to yield GH 3-4, the TDS would only read 65-70...... I am worried that the shrimplets will have problem of molting in such a low TDS.

This is pretty much what I have observed as well.  I don't use the included spoon, I use a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon instead since I generally mix up 20-25 gallons at a time.  For me, I get a GH of 5.  To raise my TDS, I do exactly what you were suggesting - Mosura TDS Up.  I add in the little amount that I need to raise my TDS up to the desired level, and off I go.  I have an old thread over on TPT where I did some measurements and posted my findings.  From what I recall, folks saw similar readings to mine, but it seemed to differ on how fresh the batch of SS was, how well it was stirred in the container, etc.  I think what you see printed by them on the label is a very good guideline, but I don't think that the values are down to an exact science, but rather an approximation within tolerances.  I'm not saying that is bad, as I like their products and have been quite happy with them.  I just think the expectation should probably be more around approximation than exact values.  Our TDS meters can also be in need of calibration, etc, so there are plenty of variables in the picture.

You are the first one have the same result as I have. I use powerhead to circulate the bucket to make sure the salts are all dissolved.

Since you add Mosura TDS up to your water, do you find it work well? Your shrimps like them?

I need to set a oebt tank and I know they like high TDS. If I only use SS GH+ to achieve the TDS level, the GH will be sky high.

I am courious what other people do with their oebt set up.....

I got GH8 and TDS 175ppm. (8 drop for the color changed) 

RO water has TDS 9ppm.

for the record:

I get GH6 with 3 gram of SS GH+

one flat spoon is about 2.7-2.8 gram which I measure with digital scale.

so you should get GH 5-6 with 5 gallon of RO water.

Somebody told me to ignor TDS too.

But I do like to know why when I add the same amount of SS GH+ to the same amount of RO would yield different results than other people

My goal is a GH 3-4 tank. If I use less SS GH+ to yield GH 3-4, the TDS would only read 65-70...... I am worried that the shrimplets will have problem of molting in such a low TDS.

I never heard of TDS aiding molting.

GH aids molting.

Don't do water changes and your GH remains the same as your TDS keeps increasing. 

You are the first one have the same result as I have. I use powerhead to circulate the bucket to make sure the salts are all dissolved.

Since you add Mosura TDS up to your water, do you find it work well? Your shrimps like them?

I need to set a oebt tank and I know they like high TDS. If I only use SS GH+ to achieve the TDS level, the GH will be sky high.

I am courious what other people do with their oebt set up.....

Ah, for OEBT, I didn't use SS GH+, I used the GH/KH mix that they have rather than the GH+.  In my experience, they did better around the neo params than the CRS params, so I basically treated them similar to neos.  I do use the TDS up, but that is just to pull up the water just a bit for my cards - it'd probably not be economical to use it to bring it up to the level you'd want for neos.  One would have to do the math.  For me, I think it is 1/8th teaspoon/5 gal that I use to bump up the water for the cards.

for the record:

I get GH6 with 3 gram of SS GH+

one flat spoon is about 2.7-2.8 gram which I measure with digital scale.

so you should get GH 5-6 with 5 gallon of RO water.

Thanks! This is a good guidline.

Did you record the TDS reading for that?

You meant it is for 1 spoon to 5 gallon RO water?

For me, GH is 6 and TDS 95-100

No, just relationship between GH and TDS

Thanks! This is a good guidline.

Did you record the TDS reading for that?

I can double check but would be below 100ppm for sure.

I never heard of TDS aiding molting.

GH aids molting.

Don't do water changes and your GH remains the same as your TDS keeps increasing. 

I was told by a breeder in Taiwan. He said shrimplets will die during molting when TDS is low as well as when GH is high.

He also mention GH 2-3 is perfect for babies but adult need GH 5-6. So most breeders move baby shrimps to low GH tank as soon as they hatch. The other way is moving the berried to low GH tank as soon as they see she is going the release.

I was told by a breeder in Taiwan. He said shrimplets will die during molting when TDS is low as well as when GH is high.

He also mention GH 2-3 is perfect for babies but adult need GH 5-6. So most breeders move baby shrimps to low GH tank as soon as they hatch. The other way is moving the berried to low GH tank as soon as they see she is going the release.

for sure if that's needed.

I keep all my PRL in GH3 water, from shrimplet to adults.

Let me do a full study during coming weekend. 

I think for now, just ignore the TDS reading.

Can you do me a favor to test the TDS for this PRL tank?

I keep the tank water around 110-120 ppm. If it goes higher than 120ppm, I perform water change.

the new RO water for water change, I adjust GH to 3.

normally weekly 25% water change would keep it stable.

and I fill it with pure RO water if water level goes low.

I keep the tank water around 110-120 ppm. If it goes higher than 120ppm, I perform water change.

the new RO water for water change, I adjust GH to 3.

normally weekly 25% water change would keep it stable.

and I fill it with pure RO water if water level goes low.

If I understand it correctly, you ignor the TDS of the new water. You only adjust it to GH 3.

And you do water change when the TDS in your tank is higher than 120.......

If I understand it correctly, you ignor the TDS of the new water. You only adjust it to GH 3.

And you do water change when the TDS in your tank is higher than 120.......

What's correct

I dose SS GH+ by weighting amount on digital scale. so it's pretty accurate and consistent.