Identifying the species by performing a genetic test is pretty straight forward. Usually you amplify a highly conserved gene (often a gene coding for ribosomal RNA), sequence it and compare it to the available sequences.

This is actually what I want to do with my students next Fall in the Molecular Genetics Lab. class that I am teaching.

I estimate that the cost for us will be about $20 per sample (costs for materials and sequencing).

PRL is a phenotypic (observable traits) definition. It means you only get red offspring, no blacks no snow whites. You have to have bred them form many generations.

It is not a genetic definition. Some PRL's have also very intense white and good red coverage.

Well then guess I'll start a log on my generations and offspring but you would think if it wasn't prl 1 out of 100 would be cbs or golden at least right?

We had a good discussion on FB. I repost it here:

What is the definition of Pure Line (Black or Red) in USA?

I mean that the PRL or PBL means no King Kong offspring in Taiwan, but have chance to get golden shrimp (if mosura X mosura many times) . And it seems the definition of Pure Line is not all the same in other countries.

11334036_1443844445930692_76906390268160
Unlike · Comment · Share

I want to say one more thing.

You can always create a new line of CRS. with good color and pattern you desire.

Why you want to call it PRL?

for example: Super Red Crystal, it's not necessary to be PRL to be qualified as good CRS.

SRC is more expensive than regular PRL in the market.

I always like to breed with a goal in mind. Crs that only produce crs would make breeding higher quality crs easier. I would be upset if I was going for a certain patern but then it was a cbs and it be no use to me in that case. But if all the offspring are crs then you have higher chance of gets the desired pattern as well as color. I'm only 23 years old I don't care if it takes years I have time. Doing something your self and getting that end product is such a reward. I've taken a horible low grade red cherry colony into mostly fire sakura and painteds also I crossed those with blue velvets to get my own red rilli then bred those out till most of my colony is bbrr. This is just another project and in the end who knows maybe I'll have something really nice and just call it what I like.

I always like to breed with a goal in mind. Crs that only produce crs would make breeding higher quality crs easier. I would be upset if I was going for a certain patern but then it was a cbs and it be no use to me in that case. But if all the offspring are crs then you have higher chance of gets the desired pattern as well as color. I'm only 23 years old I don't care if it takes years I have time. Doing something your self and getting that end product is such a reward. I've taken a horible low grade red cherry colony into mostly fire sakura and painteds also I crossed those with blue velvets to get my own red rilli then bred those out till most of my colony is bbrr. This is just another project and in the end who knows maybe I'll have something really nice and just call it what I like.

Agree all you said.