wanting to get into RCS

shamedic

OH also...   Get Cholla wood!!!!!!     It is a must have, the shrimp love it!   

and when you order your shrimp, they will come in a bag with some moss  or naga grass in it.  I always take that moss and tie it to a piece of cholla wood and add it to one of my tanks.    what looks like just a cheap nothing wisp of moss in a couple months will be a nice lush dinner table for your baby shrimp

I say this all the time. Shrimp are famous in new tanks for dying out so you might want to just start with the fire reds, wait 2 months and make sure they are going to thrive and then add the more expensive tigers. It all depends on your wallet. :)

I can back this..I put 20 high grade cherrys in a new set up..even though it was cycled they all died out. Bought low grade cherrys and they are thriving now. Id start low grade to get it goin then up grade.

Anyway..super excited to see your monster tank crawling with skrimps!

Read the first couple pages of this thread

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3386-the-green-fungus/

HOLY $h!t ty so much was like a few hrs from ordering 200 red cherrys well now i know why there where .85 cents each..... well back to the search ;-< that is so sad he knows about it.I t would of made me want to quit shrimp form the start

Depending on how in the sticks you are, you might try craigslist as well. I have found CRS and a wide range of cherries for great deals. I pick up PFR from a guy I found on craigslist for about $2 a shrimp. Plus, I get to see them and the tanks they come from to make sure of the quality beforehand. Takes lots of research, but worth the work in the end to get what you want.  

i was looking on Ebay today and seen some LED lights because i want a little bit more light in the dead zones

any one use the 5050 LED? and will they grow plants?

and craigslist doesnt have any shrimp for sale around knoxville TN

Standard 5050 LED strips are brighter than generic 3528 LED strips even when you account for the density. 3528's have more even illumination which usually only matters when your using them for accent lighting.

Make sure to get the waterproof ones.

ok so i got to thinking (so I can live longer) if i put the driftwood in my bath tube will the driftwood tannins stain my tube the wife would KILL ME!!! ;-<

I think there is a significant chance that they would......think strong tea levels of potential stain.  You could just say that you are highlighting the areas of the tub that need cleaning :)

There's also the possibility that soaps/detergents get transferred from tub>wood>tank.

hummm i dont think the pieces will fit into 5 gal buckets looks like ill have to get smaller sizes. ca ni just boil water put it in 5 gallon bucket and let it sit a few days and repeat ? all my decor i have ever had is fake items

I think that would work, the water would cool pretty quickly however.  You still have the issue of boiling large quantities of water.

Not sure where you are located, if you are in the US and have access to wal-mart, I purchased the following for boiling driftwood.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Granite-Ware-21-qt-Stock-Pot-with-Lid/17165786

EDIT:  Looks like amazon has it as well and at a lower price

http://smile.amazon.com/Granite-0707-1-Porcelain-Water-Bath-21-5-Quart/dp/B0001UZL8A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1432833792&sr=8-5&keywords=stock+pot

ya im in knoxville TN i have a few of them. now is the boiling water to kill the little fellas on the wood because i was reading you can just put it in a 55 gallon trash bucket and change the water every other day for about 2-3 weeks and that will get the tan out of the wood? now i was also looking into some big pieces of cholla wood 24-30 inch each would i have to put that in a bucket of is the tan from cholla wood not that bad

"Hot" and room-temperature water will leech tannins, however nowhere near the rate of boiling water.  Think along the lines of tea bags........

I do believe one purpose of hot/boiling water is to remove unwanted "bugs", but I'm not sure what temps of water are needed to accomplish this.

I've gone through this process with mopani and cholla, and yes, mopani had way more tannins compared to what I saw with cholla.  I boiled (5-15 mins) and soaked my mopani every day for a month, whereas with the cholla I think I only did this 1-2 times, and never saw any noticeable tannins once I added them to my tank (40 gallons).  The mopani seemed to have no end to the amount of tannins it would leach into boiling water, I finally gave up and added them it to a 12 gallon tank (which had purigen, thus removing tannins).  

I'm not sure what your other driftwood is, or if the size makes boiling water feasible.  For cholla that long, I would think you are limited to your idea of soaking in a 55G, which should suffice.  

Both my parents went to UT, and my grandparents lived in Knoxville, many fond memories.......GO VOLS!

does the cholla wood fall apart fast? I have read a lot and most said it does I don't want to spend $100+ a yr on cholla wood if its going to be like that about how long have you had a log before it was time to dump it. ya UT is VERY big here I moved here about 2 1/2 yrs ago from cali for my job it is a very nice place to live SO GREEN and has water unlike cali lol

so you do have to replace it about once a yr then that want wook for me sence its about 100 bucks for my 240Gallon for 4 good size pieces 24-30 inch long. one more thing how to u clean the sub do you use a gravel vac i would think you would suck some of the shrimps up and can i keep my plecos in with the shrimp or will they be eatting the much needed food for the shrimp they are albino bristlenose plecos x2