Help me build my first shrimp tank journal.

00camaro16

My photo period is split into 3 separate periods of 3 hours each.

I can't tell is the algae is coking the hair grass to die, or the already melted/died hair grass just gives it a perfect spot. I Aldo had an out break of hair that took over in 2 days... my last amano died too.

I might cut my photo periods to 2, 3, 2 hours. But I want my plants to grow in. Once I get this other tank set up I can move my single :-( cherry over and blast the co2.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Finally should have my parameters right in my 6 gallon, sadly no breeding possible since I only have A female left.

Back onto getting the 15 gallon up. I went rock hunting today a found a lot of nice rocks. I'll get them cleaned up and vinegar tested tomorrow so I can post pics and we can start thinking of some scapes. So some ideas/goals include...

- 2" of empty space in back to hide sponge filters and to give hiding space.

- At least 2 hidden and supported caves for hiding with PVC entrances, have to get them to look natural though.

- Many layers

Challenges...

- The tank is much longer then it is wide compared to the tank that is my inspiration.

- Making sure the support for cave ceilings are very steady (slate is used for cave ceilings, maybe use brick for support)

Love the concept of the triangle tank!

How hard was de-rimming? What did you use for a blade?

For plants, I agree with the above comments. I snagged some cheap ones from RAOKs and "clearance", but also filled in from a one-stop-shop purchase. (Yes, from Han :))

Love the concept of the triangle tank!

How hard was de-rimming? What did you use for a blade?

For plants, I agree with the above comments. I snagged some cheap ones from RAOKs and "clearance", but also filled in from a one-stop-shop purchase. (Yes, from Han :))

Thanks, but to be honest the really acute angle is really hard to clean and plant in. I made many mistakes in that one I'm hopping to not repeat in this one. The triangle tank I think is going to turn into just a planted cpd tank.

De-rimming was easy. I really just use pliers and rocked it back and forth until the silicone let go. Then I went around with a bare razor blade cleaning it off. I wasn't really as careful as I probably should have been but it went well.

I should have pictures of the rock I collected up in a few minutes for thought and suggestions. I really like some of them but they are more grey then brown.

Yea I figured I would deal with plants as I get to them.

Chris

ROCKS! Sometimes its nice living in the Huron river water shed... except when digging a hole.

This is my favorite. I like the layers in it which are really apparent when wet. Of could work really well as the cliff thing on the right. Its really big but I guess I could break it into two if needed, but from judging the stress lines I don't think it will break in a way that will help too much.

post-152-139923767371_thumb.jpg

Also nice. Same type of stone. And I think I can see a natural looking cave entrance on the right (which is now covered by a rock holding it up). The hard part will be finishing the foot top to look like a mountain.

post-152-139923791899_thumb.jpg

A little bit lighter rock, but could be used as a mountain top.

post-152-139923803966_thumb.jpg

Smaller, but layered.

post-152-139923808347_thumb.jpg

Small mountain top like rock, has some layered parts.

post-152-139923811086_thumb.jpg

All together to show compared sizes.

post-152-139923815912_thumb.jpg

More rock pictures to come, but all those are the same type of rock.

Big on3 is broken apart into 8 pieces, I was worried about weight.

Option one, meh yguve9uh.jpg

This left rock looks much better. The part I do like is the valley going towards the back. They are not placed right in the tank yet, but the arrangement of racks I like... though wandering away from the inspiration tank. vahave2a.jpg

Getting closer vu5u9usu.jpg

I like the valley rock, but angled wrong. my3adyru.jpg

The angle is much better. But the area between the valley rock and the main mountain top has to be hidden a bit, or find a way to make the transition better. u4ehesy4.jpg

Over all I think its an OK start, but need to be placed better in the tank. Continued on to the other side. And make peaks better transition. Right now the substrate is extremely deep, but it won't be that way in the final tank. I still have to make the hidden caves, which will be under the mountains. I have to find a way to fit that all in.

I might have to go more rock hunting to get the look I want (more rock face, less fill in) Ideas? Opinions? Advice?

Chris Sent

I think after looking at these pictures, These rocks and this scape would look great in a 5-10 gallon, but in a 15 they look too small and not mountain like... Time for more rock hunting I guess.

Yea was going to ask if you had a farther shot. Def a good start. Keep, playing with ideas and e remember it's your tank so when your happy with it go for it.

-Chris

I found sketching your ideas out sometimes help to or look at pictures if what your trying to create. I avoid crazy tank pictures because they are done by people that are pros lol. Mine look good but takes some experience to pull off some of those.

-Chris

So last night I was again messing around with the rocks, and my wife walks by and says that she really likes the placement of the rock to the right. I told her they were just ones I moved out of the way and I hadn't set them yet. Well I look at it, and like it too. I cleaned up the sand a bit and level off some thing and this is what came of it.

post-152-139955020584_thumb.jpg

That looks good! Go for it, if you both like it!

-Chris

I think I will. Spurring from there I am trying to build off that.

Here is where I am now. Version 3.something

post-152-139959663162_thumb.jpg

post-152-139959668969_thumb.jpg

post-152-139959672802_thumb.jpg

post-152-139959676878_thumb.jpg

Picture with flash light in cave opening.

post-152-139959682739_thumb.jpg

You'll come up with the perfect look. I really like the getting closer one.

I'm Starting to look into lighting options that might be cheaper then a fugeray (If you have a 24" used, I will buy it). These are some options I have thought of.

- Actually I promise I am not coping ctaylor, I have a one of these in my 6 gallon triangle to get like in the far corner. It is commonly fully submerged and does just fine.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/top-emitting/filter/Color,White,136,4627:Color_Temperature,Natural_White,137,4649:Volts_DC,12,35,955:Water_Resistance,Weatherproof_(IP65_and_above),135,4566:

- I would actually have to go through these and see if they would in fact be cheaper

http://www.oznium.com/premium-led-module

http://www.oznium.com/square-led-module

http://www.oznium.com/1w-led

-I have no idea how much light these would push, or what color they would throw

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192073/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30180778/

-Chris

Good stuff! I messed around with them a bit today. They are pretty bright, gotta run to Lowe's and get some sauter tomorrow. Should have gotten the speed connectors lol. Coildnt really test much because,of,the brightness of the roll. In the dark just one row put off a lot of light lol.

-Chris

I ended up messing with my 6 gallon tonight. Traveling for work this week so wanted my oto and lady cherry to be all set up... how do you guys get the hardness to match with so little water lol.

And ways, my girl loves your plants chris she's been chilling under the minuta or on the fissidens all day.

Also!

post-152-139968741277_thumb.jpg

I'm getting good molts now, my parameters are good now, just checked them. I'm actually holding my pH at 6.5 too which doesn't matter too much for neos, but exciting to me.

Don't mind the algae I'm fighting. I'm changing things around to try and fix it

To get perfect parameters bro use RO and get salty shrimp gh+kh+ add to desired level and you will be exactly where you need to be. Top offs are done with sstraight ro. Water change is only,time mixed water goes back in. Make sense? It's sop easy to control parameters. Even with a larger tank use the same plan

-Chris

Got the Sponge filters today and put them in my cycled tank to hopfully speed the 15 gallons Cycling along. It isn't pretty but hopefully It will work.

post-152-139983070413_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk