Help me build my first shrimp tank journal.

00camaro16

Updated plans. Still feel like there's empty space around. But I also have a new rock find to try when I get home... All the way from tenn.

post-152-140018143693_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Well, I took the rocks out to clean them and ended up Changing the hardscape.

So here's an update.

post-152-140060270503_thumb.jpg

post-152-140063298842_thumb.jpg

Whats missing from this hardscape? I think it's getting close to dry starting some moss.

Chris

I like the setup at this point, will look pretty cool. Love the idea of the rock placement. I'd go for it!

-Chris

Welcome to The Shrimp Spot! Please introduce yourself and start posting!

For now there is just the one forum but as more people start joining and posting I will create more forums as they become necessary.

Yea, it's time to start cycling the tank. And I have a week or 2 until I can start that process because of dry starting the fissedens, and still need to buy the flame.

Chris

I agree, I think it's looks great the way you have it. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Yea, it's time to start cycling the tank. And I have a week or 2 until I can start that process because of dry starting the fissedens, and still need to buy the flame.

Chris

Never done a dry start before. I'm always to impatient to buy fish or shrimp. That's why have a high tech grow system for my plants lol. Instant aquariums!!

-Chris

Never done a dry start before. I'm always to impatient to buy fish or shrimp. That's why have a high tech grow system for my plants lol. Instant aquariums!!

-Chris

Lol me too, but trying to take my frustration waiting on shrimp for a month rather then fighting algae and slow growth for 2. Well see how it does, I still need to get a colony running in my 6 gallon to have enough shrimp for a 15 so here's to hoping.

Chris

Well I just tried moving the tank to its permanent placement... but... that's gonna be a 2 person job... this weekend it is!

I agree, I think it's looks great the way you have it. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thank you for the compliment. Hopefully the planting will go well.

post-152-140080198299_thumb.jpg

Drip accIimating the shrimp I just got today that will hopefully start my colony. It looks like 9 fire red cherries, and 3 blue bees. All arrived healthy.

post-152-140080221289_thumb.jpg

They deserved a treat after 3 days of shipping. So they got some Jake's Nom Nom Complete Veggy. First time I have seen a frenzy Since my current single cherry has more algea then she can eat and couldn't care any less when I dropped it in. It was cool to watch.

Chris

So I have nothing new or exciting for the tank journal. Light roll should come sometime next week so I can start experimenting with that. Tank should get moved to it final position today and I most likely will start the dry start process.

But I will show you all this...

post-152-14010174445_thumb.jpg

post-152-140101770783_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness all I have is my phone for a camera. This guy is my favorite. He is quite small but I love how his racing strip is cut it lines making him almost look like a tiger shrimp.

Chris

Looks like everything is doing great I'm glad to hear. I have gotten some unique cherry's from that colony not sure if it has to do with the mix in the original colony coming from 5 different breeders, or that they live with blue bees and OEBT.

I have some of the PFR adults with orange eyes, and others that end up with tiger shrimp pasterns that can be seen even in the deep red females. So it's possible your line will continue the unique looks.

Did you see the tank they come from? See why I had such a hard time catching them lol

Looks like everything is doing great I'm glad to hear. I have gotten some unique cherry's from that colony not sure if it has to do with the mix in the original colony coming from 5 different breeders, or that they live with blue bees and OEBT.

I have some of the PFR adults with orange eyes, and others that end up with tiger shrimp pasterns that can be seen even in the deep red females. So it's possible your line will continue the unique looks.

Did you see the tank they come from? See why I had such a hard time catching them lol

Everything been going well. Got the GH back up in the 6 gallon and saw 1 good molt so far and one baby about to (guessing tonight). Hoping for a berry soon.

Started getting the the hair algea down, then forgot I turned the light off timer yesterday to show off the tank and blasted it with 24 hour light period... needless to say I'm back to square one.

I'm excited to see the patterns that come out of it, I'm liking the tiger type traits I'm seeing alot.

I did see the tank, I'm amazed you could catch any at all haha.

In other news I started fissedens dry starting, once I see it growing I'll start the flame.

post-152-140124098578_thumb.jpg

post-152-140124100053_thumb.jpg

post-152-14012410138_thumb.jpg

Chris

Everything been going well. Got the GH back up in the 6 gallon and saw 1 good molt so far and one baby about to (guessing tonight). Hoping for a berry soon.

Started getting the the hair algea down, then forgot I turned the light off timer yesterday to show off the tank and blasted it with 24 hour light period... needless to say I'm back to square one.

I'm excited to see the patterns that come out of it, I'm liking the tiger type traits I'm seeing alot.

I did see the tank, I'm amazed you could catch any at all haha.

In other news I started fissedens dry starting, once I see it growing I'll start the flame.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif uploadfromtaptalk1401240984005.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif uploadfromtaptalk1401240999778.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif uploadfromtaptalk1401241013089.jpg

Chris

Looks great man! Remeber to keep the tank stable and you'll see activity!

-Chris

I would not dry start the flame moss there's no need. Once you flood just add small pieces to the areas you want it in and let it naturally fill in. 

If you try to dry start the flame moss it will grow funny looking because it's not strong enough to support the vertical growth and it will grow flat.

yea, after googling it I saw dry start on flame moss doesn't work all too well and kind of unneeded since it attaches so fast.

I did notice that it sinks unlike other mosses so I am wondering if I can cut smaller pieces of it and it will sink enough to attach or if I need to just use some Stainless steel mesh. I have the mesh so it is that, it's just the fact  it looks so bad until it fills in and I haven't had mush luck doing it before hand.

Chris

Yea anything looks bad until it's filled in. I have Fissidens on Cholla wood. Been 2 months and finally looking good lol.

-Chris