Help me build my first shrimp tank journal.

00camaro16

Ok been absent for awhile, work has gotten crazy lately and I barely find enough time to do water changes on my currently stocked tank, so my activity here has gone down.

Update:

Tester fish did well for 2 weeks, parameters came out fine.

I did a 95% water change to get the cycle water out of there and refilled with RO & Salty 7.5.

Salty 7.5 is wierd; I had to add twice what the directions said to get the GH to the right level. Oh well everything worked out great.

I found out how easily the blasting sand moves under water and ended up having to re-do some of the rocks and the whole cave. It still looks good, just different.

I am currently very slowly drip accIimating 1 Amano shrimp and 2 Ottos as other test dummies, plus they will enjoy all the left over algea. When I say slowly, I mean 1 drip per 5 seconds, it's such a large change from tank to tank (ada soil to 7.5ph) I want to not stress them out as much as possible.

If all goes well, I should be ordering the malawas from soothing soon. Maybe next week, but I have 2 work trips coming up very soon and I'm not sure about leaving newly acclimated shrimp for my wife to look after. She has 0 experience with tanks other then the last 3 work trips.

On side notes:

I have no idea what I should do with the tester fish, they are some mountain minnows and I don't want them bugging the Amano and ottos, but my other tank also have baby shrimp in it.

The other tank is doing well, I have seen 4 baby shrimp at the same time now and I am sure more are hiding. One is growing quite a bit faster then the others, has already molted once and is getting some color. I thought this was kind of wierd but maybe not. I also have one of my better looking females berried, and I think one more became berried last night but haven't comfirmed.

Once all livestock move over to this tank, I get to trim my overgrown 6 gallon, and start my grow out tank. I have tons of hydro pinn.

My grow out tank is 3 gallon, I bought a cheap grow light, I'm using extra co2 stuff I had laying around, and bought activ - flora and root tabs for it. That tank will only house plants and hopefully it will help me get a mini rose moss carpet faster the 15 gallon.

OK that's it's for now, I'll get some pictures.

Chris

Sadly fast growing shrimp didn't feel like posing for me today, but I did find too babies. Sorry for the cell phone pics, it's all I have.

15 gallon

yzanyvuh.jpg

6 gallon pics...

Whole tank. Don't mind all the spyro, containing it got put on the back burner since I got busy, and eliminating it can't happen till all live things are moved over and I can get serious.

e2ujypah.jpg

One of the smaller babies, maybe blurry.

e5ezezet.jpg

Same one just not zoomed in.

jupyzege.jpg

Look for the black dot eyes.

y2y3a7es.jpg

esa5a9yg.jpg

My current berried girl.

yrada9e5.jpg

Baby with light behind it.

2evybupe.jpg

Grow out tank with just left over ada on bottom.

badaragy.jpg

Grow light currently helping my flame moss start shooting vertical shoots.

9urubypa.jpg

That berried one color up nicely.

Is that grow out tank the one you made?

Yup its the one I made. It now has a activ flora bottom. And the mountain minnows ended up going in there... I need yet another air pump now though for some water movement.

Nice, haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to see your still around!

Yea, haven't had too much time lately. Works been sending me all over the country to air force bases in the middle of no where. So I alternate weeks with dealing with hotel wireless and catching up on the last week's errands.

Have about a month left of this crazy scedule till it settles down, but I think I'll actually get a whole week next week to order the malawas for the 15 so there actually stuff in there.

Tomorrow everything from my 6 gallon transfers over so I can treat the spyro and hopefully rid myself of that crap.

Ever end up at the syracuse ny AFB.

Nope, and sadly am not scheduled too. I really like the area. Closest I would get in Maine and even at that I think I'm closer just here in michigan.

All the bases I'm going to have a air national guard in-air refueling stationed there since our simulator trains for that.

Chris

Got alot done yesterday.

I moved all my cherries to the 15 gallon. So far I only lost 1 male, and the 2 berried females still looked fine. The babies are still in my 6 gallon, once they grow some more I'll move them over.

In my 6 gallon I trimmed my dwarf hair grass to encourage runners and did a large trimming of my hydro pinnatifida.

All the trimming them went into my grow out tank, and I plan on doing a decent roak of them once they get some roots. I also attached some fissidens, mini - Xmas, and Java moss to ss mesh and putt them in the grow out.

Chris

Did you Drip acclimate them? I'm horrible about throwing shrimp from tank to tank, fortunately my parameters are pretty close to the Same in my tanks lol

In my own home, I don't drip because params/temp is pretty much the same.  Plus, it's fast.  Boom boom.  Stressful, but for  few seconds.

In my own theory, I think with shipping it weakens any shrimp with prolonged stress, and that's why we try to take time to make it less stressful for acclimation.  Too much stress, and you can lose the shrimp.

Did you Drip acclimate them? I'm horrible about throwing shrimp from tank to tank, fortunately my parameters are pretty close to the Same in my tanks lol

I did drip them in. Actually 4 hours at a drip per 3 seconds. Emptied half the water, then another 3 hours at a drip a second... gh is the same between the 2 tanks but pH is 6.6 to 7.5.

I lost a amano today, but he seemed kinda in bad shape when I took him out of the 6. I left for a work trip today, so hopefully they do aright for my wife or shell feel horrible.

Chris