Purigen killed my shrimp!?

I set up a new canister filter on my goldfish tank. As I was assembling , I ended up with a handful of extra purigen. So bagged it up and popped it in the shrimp HOB. I poured a cuppa tea and went back to my shrimp watching. I saw one dead, and the another had some kind of seizure and fell over dead. They were both hanging out by the outflow. So whipped the purigen out of the filter, but still ended up with 5 dead. Anyone know what happened? No further deaths since the purigen came out. Is purigen that effective that it sucked whatever out of the water so fast it shocked the shrimp?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Was it rinsed? First time use or regenerated?

I keep Purigen in my HOB, and have regenerated it with the recommended instructions, and haven't had a problem yet. Scary!

Did You clean your HOB? It a sounds like something could have been released into the a water. If it was new purigen it shouldn't do that. I have it on all my tanks for years. No problems because of it.

-Chris

My first tank was a saltwater tank decades ago . the one thing I was always told be the pet store which I still follow to this day with my freshwater shrimp is after rinsing the chemical media (back in those days they only had chemi-pure) is to than let it sit 24 hours in a container of tank water because most media will change the PH for the first 18 hours .

Not much ever slightly but enough to stress some inverts . Granted in a smaller tank worse than larger tank.

Reading the posts I see many do not do this and never had any problems but this is the method I use to be safe.

Didn't clean the HOb. Just plopped the bag on top of the pot scrubbies that have been in there forever. I've been using it in my big tanks for years and was going to add it to the new shrimp tanks once I get them going. Now not too sure...

Additional info if it helps anyone figure out what went wrong. .. shrimp are blue pearls, 10 gal planted. Double sponge filter and hob with sponged intake and pot scrubbies. Gh6 kh 4. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20. Tds about 300.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I run Purigen in all my tanks religiously. Have for more years then I care to count. It's a synthetic polymer that doesnt contain anything that would cause death in shrimp or any other stock. Even if it was ingested. It could only cause harm if it was regened incorrect, as mentioned above. If this was the first time use. It has to be something else causing the problem.